• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

VT'd Car but won't be Collected until MOT Expired. Can I drop it off a Dealer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VT'd Car but won't be Collected until MOT Expired. Can I drop it off a Dealer?

I've been following the process outlined here to VT my Mercedes GLC.

I have been chasing to get the car collected for the last coulpe of weeks, but the earliest BCA can collect is 4th December, after the MOT has expired.

Can I just take the car back to the dealer? (Car bought from Mercedes and finance is through Mercedes Benz Finance).

Cheers Ash.
    Tags: None

Hello

Mercedes and Mercedes-Benz Financial Services are two different companies despite being part of the same group of companies or that it may be a franchise. The vehicle legally belongs to MBFS and you have no right to take it to the Mercedes dealership unless you have been given permission. If you decide to do that, then you would be liable for any damage to it as a result.

If you haven't done so already, you should tell MBFS that the day they are looking to collect the vehicle will be after the MOT has expired as that is a reasonable thing to do.
    I would suggest contact is kept in writing (preferably email for evidence reasons) but if MBFS try to claim you are liable for further costs or to pay for the MOT, then you should resist that because you are no longer legally obligated to do anything with the car except for looking after it until it has been collected.

You could also point out that you've chased them for a couple of weeks and they have taken their time to arrange a date which would have meant that the car had been in your possession for at least 4 weeks (or more?) since termination of the agreement, which is more than a reasonable amount of time for them to collect it.

You could offer to take it to the dealership but you should make it clear that once dropped off, it is no longer your responsibility. If you wanted to, you could also seek reasonable costs or expenses in dropping the car off to the dealership though I doubt they would agree to that.

If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X