• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Insurance Cancellation Scam

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurance Cancellation Scam

I paid £81 premium including IPT on July 1st for motorcycle insurance.
    Today I cancelled the insurance having sold the bike
    Expecting a pisspotically small rebate I was surprised when told I would have to pay a further £41 to cancel after my rebate. (figures were not disclosed) but according to the policy I should be due 37.5% = £30.37, their terms say they will take their £55 fees out of any rebate.
    So how can they charge me £41??
    Tags: None

Because maths is not one of their strong points.

Presumably this is a broker charging an administration fee for the cancellation.
    Tell them where they've gone wrong, and that if they don't agree you will complain to FOS (https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/)

Comment

Why thank you, I should add when they mentioned this exorbitant charge I instructed them to leave the insurance in place and they refused. I don't see why this could be the case. I would have thought that as insurance is no more than a bet against the odds surely I can insure anything I wish; including (theoretically) the moon crashing into Uranus although making a claim could be difficult matter. Is there some law governing keeping a policy live?

Comment

I think it's to do with the bike being insured twice when the next person does insure it, if it's involved in an accident then they could claim off of you.

Comment

Hmm...don't like defining insurance as a form of betting; rather it is risk management!

you can only insure against loss where you have an insurable risk, so no you can't insure against the moon colliding with Uranus although Betfred might well be willing to take your money!

Regarding the cancellation, if the actual insurers have already been advised to cancel you will not have the policy reinstated as there is no longer any insurable interest. If they are not aware of the disposal of the bike and of your order to cancel there is no reason just not to let the policy lapse on renewal..

Comment

Thanks for your input guys. I did instruct them to leave it as a live policy and to expire naturally but they refused my instruction intent on claiming their fee [there could never be an policy claim because the bike had been exported to Poland and I was the only insured rider] ah well, I suspect they would have a job getting the money as my card has been replaced and I moved also. Would they really bother for £41, probably not... but???

Comment

Whether or not they will pursue you for £41 I cannot guess.
              However if you have moved, and they do not know your new address, they might initiate a court claim and obtain a CCJ.
              Not difficult to trace people and then enforce it.
              You would then have the problem of a ruined credit record and the cost of a set aside and defence.

I would make complaint to FOS, but it is your choice

Comment

Cheers DES8, I prpbably came across as a bit flippant there, you're quite right of course. Its not about the money in this instance, part of me says just pay and write it off but I hate being screwed on principal.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X