• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Rejected appeal from SmartParking - Want to take to POPLA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rejected appeal from SmartParking - Want to take to POPLA

Hi,

today I received a letter in the post stating that Smart Parking have rejected my appeal...no surprise there.

I want to take this to POPLA as it was on unfair grounds.

It was in Tottenham Hale Retail Park which has a 3 hour limit stay.

I was over by 23 minutes.

The reason it is unfair is because I was stuck in the Burger King drive-through for roughly half hour because 1) There was a long queue and 2) Something was either wrong with their system or orders as customers had to wait around 8-10 mins for their meal. They even messed up my order causing me to go back and get it changed, unfortunately I didn't save the receipt. I would have easily made it out on time if the drive-through was flowing.

My appeal consisted of showing the many receipts I had obtained during shopping and the end time. My final receipt was around 10-15 mins before my 'deadline'.

I will post up the rejection letter.

Is there something specific I can say to POPLA for them to accept my appeal?

Thanks
    Attached Files
    Tags: None

Re: Rejected appeal from SmartParking - Want to take to POPLA

Hmmm.... sounds like you have given away who was driving ?

Can i see the appeal ?

M1

Comment

Hi,

sorry for the late reply, very busy. Finally have a break. Unfortunately, I have admitted, which I now know doesn't help me at all. It's a real shame I don't have my Burger King receipt too. However, I would still like to make my stand as I was stuck in the drive-through. Any help would be great. Here is my appeal:

Dear sir/Madam,
      I am writing this letter in regards to a parking invoice sent to me via post on the 24th August 2016. The letter arrived on the 27th August 2016. Notice Number: ________________
      Firstly, I was unaware there was a time limit within the car park and I can understand the reason for having one to stop people, i.e. commuters or residents, from abusing the free space, however I was a genuine shopper within the retail park and I have many receipts to prove this.
      According to the PCN, my vehicle is shown entering the car park at 17:20. After spending a large amount of time within different stores, some which I only browsed, my final receipt shows a time of 20:07. This already shows a time length of 2 hours and 47 minutes.
      Before leaving the car park for home, my mother and I decided to visit Burger King via the drive through. Although I cannot say the exact reason, the customer in front of us spent a significant amount of time waiting for his order. When we finally went to collect ours, we noticed the order was wrong so we had to park up once again to go into the restaurant to change it.
      From entering the drive through, waiting in the queue, placing the order, waiting for the customers in front to claim theirs, the fault on the drivers order in front, waiting for and the error on my own order, parking back up, going back inside and waiting in another queue for Burger King to fix their error on my meal, this took approximately 30-40 minutes.
      According to your notice, I was overdue by 23 minutes to leave the car park, which I do not believe warrants me for this charge based on the evidence given, especially since most of the overdue time was spent within the Burger King drive through. If it had not been for the mishap on Burger Kings behalf, I believe I would have left the car park within the timeframe.
      I would like to add that I cannot see a great loss in car space and money because of this. I feel it is unjustified and unfair considering I was a customer the entire time with both myself and my mother spending a considerable amount of money.
      As I mentioned before, I can appreciate the limited time on a car park, especially one so close to Tottenham Hale Train Station, but as I have proved, I spent all of my time there shopping and making purchases, therefore I would appreciate you cancelling this notice.
      If needs be, I am prepared to take this further.
      Unfortunately Burger King failed to provide me with a receipt of purchase however if required, I will contact them for a statement.
      Regards.

Comment

Contact Burger king and all the stores (managers only). Use social media if the managers are arseholes.

Failing that let me know with about 7 days until the popla appeal deadline and i'll give you a good popla appeal.

http://www.parkingcowboys.co.uk/popla-code-checker/

M1

Comment

I hope I don't sound too silly for asking...

When you say contact all the stores... do you mean different stores? Or did you mean all the managers within the store I went to?

Also, what am I asking exactly?

I ask because if they were to give me a 'letter' saying that I was stuck in their drive-through, am I sending this to Smart Parking?

Lastly, I was hoping to appeal to POPLA now so I could potentially get a reply before the 6th October. I know this may seem far fetched, but I'm a student and a carer to my disabled grandmother. As much as I don't want to pay the £45, I really don't want to pay £90 if I was to lose the appeal.

Sorry for any bother, I do appreciate your help and time with this.

Comment

Usually just the stores you spent cash in although i have heard of people going to every shop on the land until someone helped which is a bit cheeky.

You basically ask them to arrange for it to be cancelled. Ham it up about how many million you spend there and how you hate to go elsewhere blah blah blah. (keep it real/realistic).

That is how you can win without risking an increase. If you go to popla it will increase, unless you win. The only way you'd hear back from popla before 6th October is if Smart conceded upon getting the appeal and withdraw.

With a good popla appeal, and keeper liability in play, they have been conceding of late but without keeper liability (as you've given enough information on who was driving) i'm not sure they would although they haven't got a good record of winning at popla againsta decent fora appeal.

M1

Comment

Great thanks for that, I will head down ASAP.

Just to double check, if they agree to help me out, what should I give them exactly? The appeal number?

I don't want to give any unnecessary/personal information.

Comment

They'll need the PCN number and probably name and address and/or reg to confirm.

M1

Comment

Hi,

just wanted to update you on what's going on and ask for a little more advice.

I went down to the hale last week and bumped into a manager from Currys who recognised me. I explained to him what I was doing there and he said he'd happily help me out. Thought it was a bit cheeky like you said, but he was willing to help me out so I thought why not?

He emailed the security department within Tottenham for me and I left it until today, waiting for a reply.

No reply after a week so I emailed them and very soon afterwards I received a reply saying:

Hi,

Email was sent to us about your parking ticket by the Currys store. However we do not know what the contravention is or if you are a legitimate customer. Any pcn received by yourself must be taken into the security office with proof of purchase from whatever store you was in.

Kind Regards,

Sam

With Smart Parking rejecting the appeal, is it worth going down to them still? Do they still have authority to cancel the ticket?

I have tons of receipts from that day that show I was shopping, just not the burger king one where I stuck for over 20 minutes in the drive through.

Thanks for any help.

Comment

Take all the rest and say you can't find the Currys one.

M1

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X