• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

PCN from Smart Parking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PCN from Smart Parking

Hi All,

I've just found this excellent forum while looking for advice on making a POPLA appeal to a PCN that was received at ASDA in South Shields.

The PCN was issued because we hadn't bought and displayed a parking ticket, we had tried but the machine wouldn't accept our money, the machine did display a notice that it doesn't accept new 5p and 10p coins but we only had change to pay with, the machine didn't accept card or mobile payments, so we went and did our shopping without paying for the parking.

We had the notice stuck to the windscreen when we came back, then a month later the 'Notice to owner' letter came through the door, I appealed through the Smart Parking website shortly after stating the machine wouldn't accept our money and we had shopped at ASDA anyway so would of got the parking cost refunded and attached the ASDA receipt, but that was appeal was rejected, up to this point, I haven't named the driver of the vehicle. The appeal was rejected because after further investigation, they found no reported problems with the machine and because I hadn't displayed a valid ticket, I breached the terms and conditions.

I'm miffed because we had the money to pay for the parking, but because Smart Parking haven't converted the machine to the new sized coins, we couldn't pay for parking, surely this makes the machines not fit for purpose? Also, we shopped at ASDA, I have the receipt to prove it so would of had the cost of parking refunded.

So the question is, do I appeal this through POPLA (I have the verification code) or do I just begrudgingly pay the fine? Which now stands at £80, £70 + £10 admin fee.

I would appreciate any advice on how to proceed with this.

James
    Tags: None

Re: PCN from Smart Parking

What have Asda management said ?

I'd appeal to popla.

Do you have the PCN and NTK that you could show me (suitably sanitised)

M1

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply M1, at the time, the lady at the customer services desk said there wasn't anything she could do as the car park was managed by Smart Parking, however, I just called customer services again and spoke to another lady and explained my appeal had been rejected, she said if I went into the store with the PCN and the receipt, she might be able to get the ticket cancelled, so i'll try that first and hope that works, otherwise, I'll come back and update this thread. Thanks again for your help.

Comment

So it's the old old story. Don't let customer services desk fob you off. Demand to speak to someone in management.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X