• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

MET McDonalds PCN - appeal rejected, how to proceed with POPLA?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MET McDonalds PCN - appeal rejected, how to proceed with POPLA?

Dear all,

I'm hoping you can help.

The keeper received a PCN:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image_32208.jpg Views:	1 Size:	48.9 KB ID:	1425141

The keeper complained to the McDonald's branch, but got no joy.

The keeper then appealed to MET using this template from here

Re PCN number:

I appeal and dispute your 'parking charge', as the keeper of the vehicle. I deny any liability.

There will be no admissions as to who was driving and no assumptions can be drawn, nor was there an agreed contract. Your signage terms fail the test of 'large lettering' and prominence of the parking charge, as established inParkingEye Ltd v Beavis, which is fully distinguished.

Should you fail to cancel this PCN, I require with your rejection letter, all images taken of this vehicle & the signs at the location that day. Do not withhold any images or data later relied on for POPLA/court.

Firms of your ilk were unanimously condemned in 2018 as operating an 'outrageous scam' (Hansard 2.2.18). The BPA & IPC were heavily criticised too; hardly surprising for an industry where so-called AOS members admit to letting victims 'futilely go through the motions' of appeal and say on camera 'we make it up sometimes' (BBC Watchdog).

I will be making a formal complaint about your predatory conduct to your client landowner, as well as complaining in writing to my MP and ensuring that they are appraised of the debate where Parliament agreed unanimously: ''we need to crack down on these rogue companies. They are an absolute disgrace to this country. Ordinary motorists...should not have to put up with this''.

Formal note:

Service of any rejection letter/POPLA code and/or legal documents by email is expressly disallowed. All responses to me from this point on, must be made by post. Regardless of any MCOL online/email system, service of any court claim must only be made by first class post to the latest address provided by me.

Yours faithfully,

THE NAME AND POSTAL ADDRESS OF THE KEEPER (OR THE HIRER/LESSEE) GOES HERE. THE DRIVER IS NOT IDENTIFIED.

DO NOT PUT YOUR NAME HERE INSTEAD, IF YOU ARE NOT THE KEEPER/HIRER/LESSEE. YOU ARE NOT HELPING IF YOU DO THIS WRONG BY APPEALING IN THE WRONG NAME!

NO NEED TO USE YOUR REAL SIGNATURE - BUT DON'T POST IT BY ROYAL MAIL UNLESS YOU HAVE NO OTHER OPTION ON THE PCN. CERTAINLY NOT BY RECORDED DELIVERY - FORGET THAT! - ALWAYS USE THE ONLINE APPEAL PAGE - OR EMAIL IF OFFERED AS AN OPTION ON THE NOTICE - BECAUSE THE APPEAL CANNOT GET LOST AND YOU CAN KEEP PROOF/ A SCREENSHOT

You can (carefully!) add a little to the template above, 'in order to resolve the dispute I attach copies of...':

- the driver's receipts/bank transactions (or Hospital Appointment/Hotel booking, etc.) that day as 'they' were a genuine customer/patient, etc.

- If an occupant of the car is disabled or elderly/infirm, then the keeper can add that, without implying who was driving. A copy of the Blue Badge (BB) is a good idea to upload/attach, but a person with a long-term debilitating condition (not a broken arm!) can be disabled without a BB, and will be legally entitled to a 'reasonable adjustment'. That can and should include an extension of time, over and above free or paid-for parking time.

The keeper added into the appeal that one of the occupants of the car at the time the PCN was issued suffers from a long-term debilitating condition and, as such, MET are required to allow a 'reasonable adjustment' (Equality Act, 2010), in the form of extra time.

The keeper then received this letter from MET, rejecting their appeal:

Click image for larger version  Name:	met front.jpg Views:	1 Size:	98.9 KB ID:	1425143Click image for larger version  Name:	met back.jpg Views:	1 Size:	113.3 KB ID:	1425144Click image for larger version  Name:	met sign.jpg Views:	1 Size:	115.2 KB ID:	1425142

Not only have they not addressed the keeper's debilitating long-term condition point alongside addressing other points the keeper raised in their appeal, but the 'photo' is a digital image of a sign at a different MET location, with different time restriction: the keeper requested 'all images taken of this vehicle & the signs at the location that day' in their appeal letter.

How would be the best way to proceed with the keeper's POPLA appeal, since this is the next stage?

Many thanks!
    Last edited by totorino; 21st September 2018, 20:14:PM.
    Tags: mcdonalds, met, pcn

The original Notice to Keeper does not conform to the requirements of POFA in several respects. You have reacrted the dates, what were they please.

9 (2) (e) is not stated correctly
    Is 9 (2) (i) there
    No period of parking 9 (2) (1). Times when car moving in front of camera is not parking.
    Is the identity of the creditor give 9 (2) (h)

You describe all such POFA failings to POPLA Here's POFA Have a look yourself for any others
    Last edited by ostell; 21st September 2018, 21:39:PM.

Comment

Thank you!

PCN dated 14/8/18
      Date of 'incident': 9/8/18
      MET appeal rejection letter dated: 17/9/18

Sorry, forgot to attach the reverse of the original PCN: Click image for larger version  Name:	pcnrear.jpg Views:	1 Size:	84.0 KB ID:	1425208

Comment

Here's some more thoughts about PCN does not comply with the strict requirements of POFA on several points and you point out to POPLA the failings and as such they cannot hold the keeper liable.

There is no period of parking as required by 9 (2) (a). A car moving in front of a camera is not parking

required statement 9 (2) (b) is missing

9 (2) (e) is not specified as required.

9 (2) (h) is missing, no creditor is identified.

9 (2) (i) the date of sending is not specified. Issue is not the same as sending.

9 (2) (f) is not as required under POFA and incorrect in that the given date would be presumed to be two days after the missing date of sending or posting defined in 9 (6)

Point these out to POPLA, and be specific with the sections, and therefore there can be no keeper liability.

Check that I have got them correct please.

Comment

Thank you so much, Ostell, really appreciate your help!

Quick question: is it sufficient to send POPLA essentially what you've written above? I've had a look on the forum and there are some very length and eloquently written appeal letters: do you you think I should use one as a template, or is it sufficient to keep it succinct and just use the points you raise above?

Cheers.

Comment

Use some of the exceedingly long appeals that make them just want to ignore rather than answer but also make sure that the POFA points above are included.

Comment

Excellent, thanks.
              Thinking of this one: http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?...&#entry1307192
              revising/adding POFA points as necessary?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X