• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

MET parking services - ticket and Confidentiality breach?- won

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MET parking services - ticket and Confidentiality breach?- won

Hi everyone,

I have a couple of things I wouldn't mind some advice on if that's ok. Firstly i received a parking fine from MET for overstaying at my local leisure centre. The policy there is 2.5 hours unless you enter the details on the MET Parking machine located within the centre. On the day in question I knew that I would likely be there over 2.5 hours and I am 99% sure I entered my car registration in the parking machine. There was a day that week when the parking machine was really sticky and slow and I had to enter my details twice before it seemed to accept them . I suspect that it was the same day and they didn't log, but of course I have no proof and didn't really think much of it at the time (or complain as I thought it had gone through). In the end I only overstayed the 2.5 hours by 20 minutes - it was late at night and there was plenty of other parking spaces - I definitely didn't restrict another person parking by staying past my 2.5 hours.

I appealed this parking ticket on this basis ( that it was a machine error) and MET have refused this and are upholding the fine, they say the leisure centre cannot confirm my side of events. They have sent me a POPLA code. I know there are drafts of POPLA letters but is there anything specific that I should be mentioning? As I always use the machine when I am there for a long time, I cannot claim I didn't see signage etc. I was aware of it hence always using this machine just in case.

The second thing is - when I did the appeal I received the standard "we will be in contact within 10 days" notification online . MET did write to me I received this 11 working days past the appeal submission - it was just their standard holding letter at this stage. However, as well as my letter they enclosed a letter for someone else regarding their parking permit (also a holding letter), this letter contained the name, address, car registration and parking ticket information of the other person - can I use this in anyway? This is obviously a massive breach of confidentiality on their part.

I have written to the other person to let him know i received this information and said I may possibly be complaining to MET/or use this as part of my appeal.

Any advice gratefully received - I just want to make sure I do this appeal properly- I can't afford the £60/£100 fine.

Thank you

R
    Tags: None

Re: MET parking services - ticket and Confidentiality breach?

Well you could tell them you are going to report them to the ICO and see if this focuses their mind on what that could mean.

Post up the info suitably sanitised (not the other persons stuff though as that's useless for your popla appeal).

Have you contacted the management of the gym ?

M1

Comment

Hi letters attached but unfortunately I don't have a copy of what I originally appealed on (basically just what I said above regarding the machine being faulty though). I did say that they were welcome to check the leisure centres CCTV to check that I went to the machine too.

Have attached their latest letter.

Also, total newbie - not sure what the ICO is?

Thank you so much for your help.
      Attached Files

Comment

https://ico.org.uk/

https://ico.org.uk/concerns/handling/

Contact the gym manager and if no go let me know.

M1

Comment

Just to let you know I spoke to the Leisure Centre and they revoked the fine - very relieved. I shall follow your advice with the re ICO.

Thank you so much for your help

Comment

Give it a few days and confirm with MET to be safe.

M1

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X