• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Forbidden signage PCN

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forbidden signage PCN

Do I have grounds to dispute this PCN?

The Driver was a different person to the registered keeper.

The driver entered the car park on 8 November to go to Majestic Wine based on the large signs at entry that say "Majestic Customer Parking" and "Parking Anytime Fitness" (attached).

The driver then mistakenly parked in the wrong place and went into the store. A PCN from CPM (attached) was received by the registered keeper on 15 November (ie within 14 days) with an issued date of 9 November.

After the PCN was received by the registered keeper we returned to the car park on foot.

From the PCN and our visit we add the following additional facts:

There are CMP signs as you drive in (attached, and all identical) and there is also one on the bay that the car was parked in. The writing on the floor of those bays is fading obscured when vehicles are parked there. There are also bays at the other end of the car park that are marked for Majestic Wine customers. The PCN controlled spaces use seperate bays from the Gym and Majestic spaces.

Why I am considering fighting it:

1) The sign is a prohibition from parking sign without permit. And arguably there is no contract, just a possible landholder issue for tresspass similar to the Horizon case. https://parking-prankster.blogspot.c...ladstoned.html?

2) No opportunity to check if the driver had parked in the right place. The photos and PCN show the car parked at a specific time Hour, Minute etc and do not include entry or exit times or any grace period. the "The period of parking to which this notice relates is the period immediately preceding the incident time stated above." By only showing one time without any kind of grace period, the driver does not have an opportunity to check whether they are in the right bay for Majestic and move their car. That is From the moment they parked in the Bay they would already be subject to a PCN.

3) The PCN states "By entering or remaining on this land you agree to abide by all terms and conditions". The issue we have with this is that this is overkill because entry onto the private land as a whole is clearly allowed to use Majestic and or the Gym.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by DJon; 20th November 2023, 21:58:PM.
    Tags: None

You seem to have a fair grip on the situation, with good grounds to dispute the charge,
    However don't expect CMP or the "Independent Appeals Service" to accept them and you might have to fight them in court.

Don't forget you must not identify the driver, and in any event they cannot increase their claim to include collection fees.

Comment

I agree with your observations but there's also the point that the letter seems to fail to describe the circumstances as to how the parking charge arose, it merely says the driver parked in breach of the conditions but fails to state what conditions were breached.

Given that the land is used by other businesses, I would be immediately querying their right to pursue charges on the land in question in accordance with paragraph 5(1) of POFA (that the creditor i.e. CPM has the right to enforce parking charges) and request a copy of that contract. Presumably the requirement of a CPM permit can only come from CPM so that condition can never be filled unless one is issued, and further evidence that anyone who is not issued with a permit is an unuathorised user.

Equally, I would craft a carefully worded letter/appeal saying that you do not accept the PCN or liability for the reasons listed in your response. Would avoid using any reference to trespass at the moment and instead say something like, I believe no contract existed and therefore no liability can be imposed on your for the following reasons and then list out those reasons.

Arguably, if they did pursue this to court, you could bring a counterclaim for harassment on the basis that they have pursued you unjustifiably as the claim they have against you has no legal foundation and, had they taken a moment to review the evidence, they would have known this as would any other reasonable person. Their sole aim like many others in your position, is to threaten and/or issue proceedings in the hope that you would pay up before it went to trial.

Of course, claiming harassment is optional only so do not feel like you have to go down that path if you are not comfortable and there's no guarantee of a win, but I would think there are reasonable grounds.
      If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X