• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

IAS Appeal rejected

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IAS Appeal rejected

Hi All, and thank you for allowing me to join.

I have just had my appeal against a charge notice issued by UK Car Park Management rejected. Having now read some other posts on this forum I realise that this appeal was almost guaranteed to fail. I have also made the further error of admitting to being the driver.

The circumstances are as follows:

I parked in a disabled bay in a large retail park where there is no charge for parking. I do hold a valid Blue Badge and had thought I had displayed it, however it had slipped from my dashboard and so was not visible. this was the contravention for which I received the charge. The Notice to Keeper was sent and received in the correct timeframe.

I replied to UK CPM, I explained that I displayed my Blue Badge as a matter of habit rather than accepting it to be a condition of parking in this car park. but it must have slipped. I advised that I fulfil the legal definition of having a disability and therefore feet that I am entitled to use the bay.

I then pointed out that the signage on the site in inconsistent and that the signs in the immediate vicinity of the space in which I parked make no mention of the necessity to actually display a Blue Badge, nor does the main signage at the entrance to the car park. I also pointed out that in the "bank" of disable spaces in which i parked, non of the signage makes reference to a Blue Badge. Indeed, i pointed out that no such signage is even remotely visible from where I had parked.

The nearest sign which makes mention of the necessity to display a Blue Badge when parking is on a wall some 40 - 50 meters away and is actually around a corner and not at all visible from where I had parked, however this is the sign the attendant chose to photograph on the day fro the purpose of the charge notice, I said i felt this to be underhand. There are in fact some twelve signs nearer that do not mention this condition.

I also attached an image of my valid Blue Badge in the hope that this may clear up the matter; it didn't and the rejected my appeal advising me to use the IAS which i now realise was a mistake.

So the basis of my appeal was that I correctly used the a disabled space provided in line the landowners duties reasonable adjustment and that the signage is not sufficient for me to have known that I needed to display a blue badge.

As part of the IAS appeal process UK CPM have provided a site map with the location of the signage indicated. They have also provided images of the three different types of sign they use and these are colour coded on the site plan. This is quite useful because it supports my case stated above about inconsistency, and I am happy that this plan is accurate.

I have now been through the IAP appeal process and they have actually stated that the nearest sign to me clearly stated the Blue Badge display condition. This is simply untrue and I have photographic evidence of this along with the site plan. IAS have been provided with all the photographs and text from my initial contact with UK CPM

I am left feeling that AIS didn't even bother to look at the evidence that that I provided, nor that of UK CPM which was equally seems to support my appeal.

I would really appreciate opinions on what is likely to happen next and how I should proceed. Also if anybody has any idea if UKCPM might actually pursue this through the courts.

Thanks for all help

H
    Tags: None

So you ignore everything until you get a letter before claim. If there is no signposted requirement to display a BB then there can be no breach.

Comment

Thanks Ostel. The issue is that there are three different types of sign used. One makes no mention of Blue Badg, one does and a further one is aimed at elecric vehicles. Where I was parked, the nearest signs (in fact about the naerest 10 signs) are the ones that make no mention, neither does the main larger sign at the entrance. There are some signs which mention the Blue Badge condition, but the nearest one, as I mentioned above is about 50 meteres away and round a corner, so invisible evenI I'd I used binoculars!
      The big red dot is where I was parked, the yellow dots represent the signs with no mention, the blue ones mention the blue badge. Does this make any difference to your original advice?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pavilion Retail Park Sign Map with parking position.png
Views:	1
Size:	529.8 KB
ID:	1579774Click image for larger version

Name:	Pavilion Retail Park - Standard.PNG
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	1579775Click image for larger version

Name:	Pavilion Retail Park - Blue Badge.PNG
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	1579776
      Attached Files

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X