• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Parking ticket issued by the police. How much a court hearing is going to cost?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parking ticket issued by the police. How much a court hearing is going to cost?

Hello everybody.

I'm going to contest a parking ticket issued by Merseyside police near the Liverpool airport. How much one court hearing, I assume that will be enough, is going to cost me? My total costs so far were £475, as the car was towed away by a contractor and I had been on a holiday for a couple of days. I didn't pay parking fee yet.
    Tags: None

On what grounds are you contesting this?

Comment

My car was parked in what appeared to be a designated parking spaces among several parking spaces next to a seemingly abandoned and boarded-up block of flats/boarded-up businesses. The parking spaces are not in the road and cannot be said, I think, to be causing obstruction as the buildings they are next to are boarded-up.Car was towed away by a contractor after ticket has been issued. Offence took place on Western Avenue near the Liverpool airport. Exact address: 198 Western Ave, Speke, Liverpool L24 3UT. Vehicle was parked nearer to boarded up building, which is opposite that takeaway.
      Look it up on street view please.

Also, they're no double yellow lines or any kind of road signs forbidding me from parking. I've got a photographic evidence of that.

I went back there and another car had 3 tickets on the windscreen and was still there. Why mine was towed away after 1 ticket? This is not a fair treatment.

Comment

Liverpool is my favourite airport by a long way so I know the road from travelling down it quite a bit and had a look as you suggested on maps. Assume you were on the bit which looks like a pavement where the other cars are parked shown as Hale Road on google maps? I have had a look and cannot see any signs online. What have you received? Do you have the opportunity to plead not guilty? If you do there will be a hearing (no idea with this one but may be in magistrates court - Handy Andy may know more. If you defend yourself there will be no cost (if you have a solicitor of course you will have to pay them) but if you lose you will pay a fine based on your income and pay court costs for a trial (hundreds). All this assumes a mags court hearing. If it is not held in mags I have no idea. May well be worth having a free short chat with a solicitor before you decide what to do.

Comment

Thank you so much!

Comment

I couldn't plead not guilty. I parked exactly opposite that black boarded up building. Yes, on that bit that looks like a pavement. I received a £75 ticket for obstructing the view of other road users and the footpath.

Comment

OK but I have no idea how you would challenge this or if you would succeed. You may throw good money after bad. I will tag Des-8 who may know more about this kind of thing or can perhaps suggest someone who does.

Comment

Thank you. I appreciate every suggestion.

Comment

This really is one for HandyAndy but I think your problem is that it not only looks like a pavement, but is actually a pavement and by parking on it you obstruct it.
                  The fact that others do so is not a defence
                  The footway (pavement) is part of the highway and it is an offence to obstruct it

cf 1)Highways Act 1980 Sec 137
                  2)Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986sec 103

Comment

Thank you. You're clearly right with that act. All right, say I'll pay the fine which is now has been reduced from £75 to £30 after I mentioned the court to the police.
                    My point is this now. I went back to that very spot where I parked and saw another car with 3 tickets(!) on the windscreen and still there. My car was recovered after only 1 ticket. This is not fair. My question is this: can I successfully contest recovery costs, which were £475? Recovery waa done by a third party.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X