• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

PCN received 17 days after alleged offence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PCN received 17 days after alleged offence

27th August 2022
    My wife (and the registered keeper) parked in a Premier Park controlled car park and had to borrow £1 off our son to pay for a ticket as she had insufficient change.

13th September 2022
    PCN received in the post. The offence date is the 27th August. My wife remains adamant that she paid for a ticket as she recalls borrowing £1. The only thing that could be an issue is that she miss-keyed the registration. Last letter of the reg is a O but may have typed 0 - or some other mistype. The ticket issued has since been thrown away.

22nd September 2022
    My wife decided to pay the discounted charge of £60 rather than appeal as the stress of an appeal would be too much. Whilst attempting to pay, the online form would not accept her details, even after entering a 0 instead of a O. She called and received an automated message that the fee was £100, so hung up. Upon closer examination of the letter, we noted the issue date was 3rd September, and that the terms of the discounted rate stated that this was only if paid within 14 days of the issue notice.

The day we received the notice, I researched online to determine if mis-keying the reg could be grounds for appeal. The date of this search (confirmed by browser history) was the 13th Sept, which confirms the letter was received 10 days after the issue notice, and 17 days after the alleged offence.

Further research on this forum indicated that such notices should be issued within 14 days, see Protection of Freedoms Act 2012, section 9, sub-paragraph 4:

9 ...
    (4) The notice must be given by -
    (a) handing it to the keeper, or leaving it at a current address for service for the keeper, within the relevant period; or
    (b) sending it by post to a current address for service for the keeper so that it is delivered to that address within the relevant period.
    (5) The relevant period for the purposes of sub-paragraph (4) is the period of 14 days beginning with the day after that on which the specified period of parking ended.
    (6) A notice sent by post is to be presumed, unless the contrary is proved, to have been delivered (and so 'given' for the purposes of sub-paragraph (4)) on the second working day after the day on which it is posted; and for this purpose "working day" means any day other than a Saturday, Sunday or a public holiday in England and Wales.

Note that no windscreen notice was given for the alleged offence.

My wife decided that as she would not be eligible for the discount then she would appeal based on the following two points:
    1. She is certain that she did pay for the ticket, but possibly mistyped her registration
    2. The PCN was received in the post 17 days after the offence, which contravenes Section 9, Schedule 4, Protection of Freedoms Act 2012

Now, reading further into sub-paragraph 6. As the issue date is 3rd Sept (a Saturday), then I make the two working days that would infer delivery is the 6th. As stated above, the notice was not actually received till the 13th, most probably due to the delays from the postal strike on the 8th (the planned strike on the 9th was cancelled after the death of the Queen).

Do you think either of the appeal reasons given are reasonable grounds to have the charge dismissed?

Last edited by FlyTrap; 22nd September 2022, 09:32:AM.
    Tags: None

Edit so that the identity of the driver cannot be inferred. The driver did this, the registered keeper received the PCN.

The event was 27th Auguat, what is the date of the letter. They have to DELIVER the PCN within 14 WORKING days. It's difficult to claim using the date received. Can you prove that it was delivered on 13th September?

Post up the redacted PCN, leaving the dates. Use imgur site and post link on here

Comment

Image of PCN: https://imgur.com/a/qRNQxnn

I have no way of proving that the letter came on the 13th - but it did!

Comment

I recently received a fine when I knew I had paid (but had thrown away the ticket). I wrote back and told them all the details of my payment, which machine, which coins and explained I had 2 witnesses ready to come to court. They wrote back and said they had made the error and cancelled the charge.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X