• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

parking notice when meter would not take my money

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• parking notice when meter would not take my money

Got a parking notice this morning, parking is £3 for up to 3 hours.
    Had two pound coins and the rest in change.
    Machine would not take my money, tried with one across the road which appeared to be out of order.
    Had another try with my change as did two other people and still no joy, there is a note above the slot to say it will not accept "new" twenty pence or ten pence cooins.
    The traffic warden said it was OK when he tried and issued the note anyway.
    It says we can appeal otherwise it will be £25 raising to £50 if not paid in fourteen days.
    Plan to appeal but what way to word it?
    Last edited by dogtired; 26th August 2012, 15:26:PM. Reason: spelling
    Never give up, Never surrender.
    Tags: None

Re: parking notice when meter would not take my money

Was the parking on local authority land or on private land?
    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Local authority. some one else said they are always having problems with the machines

Comment

If the faults with these machines are known to the local authority and they have done little or nothing to rectify them, it could be argued that any PCNs issued are open to challenge on the grounds that the local authority's failure to address the faults may amount to entrapment.

It is all very well the parking attendant claiming the machines were "Okay when he tried", but I would be inclined to ask to see his pocketbook as any tests carried out on machines should be recorded, as should any faults reported by motorists. If he has not recorded this, questions can be raised as to the reliability of his statement and actions.

Comment

Thank you BB dont think anyone will be in the office until Tuesday as i just tried the web site and it said the PCN could not be found.

Comment

If he issued the PCN today, it won't be lodged/downloaded and processed until Tuesday. Some local authorities use PCN machines that use 3G mobile telephony technology, similar to that used by some parcel couriers where the data is downloaded to a server via 3G mobile telephone networks.

Comment

Thats what I thought! Will post again when I have done that:beagle:

Comment

I think you're going to have to go and get evidence of these machines being unreliable, and thats not because I think you're telling porkies, its because I think there is a clause with regards to parking on Local Authority land that relies on parking meters and that is if the parking meters are out of order, unless otherwise stated by the Local Authority, you should not expect any rights to park there.

I know that sounds unfair, but its to stop the unscrupulous claiming all the machines didn't work at the time, so its important for you to get that evidence otherwise I doubt any appeal will go your way unfortunately.

Comment

I would check the Traffic Management Order (TMO) as regards the position with faulty meters. I know that my local authority will allow you to park, provided there are no other meters in working order in the car park and you contact the Parking Management Office or inform a Parking Attendant. Was the Parking Attendant the OP encountered employed by the local authority or a private company under contract to the local authority. If the latter, I would take what they said with a sizeable pinch of salt.

Comment

Not sure, its not an actual car park, its a main road, at least two other meters were not working.
                    I did not see the attendant, but husband did.The other thing is that when I checked the ticket again the slip says that the car is silver, it is more of a bronze and on the log book says gold.
                    Still going to try to appeal, may take notice, you never know.

Comment

If the parking attendant was told about the meters malfunctioning, they should have recorded this in their pocketbook. If they have not, this is where problems are going to arise. I would still ask to see a copy of the TMO and the parking attendant's pocketbook.

Comment

will do thank you

Comment

RESULT!!
                          E mail this morning stating that I had tried the machine nearby three times and also the one across the road(which was not switched on)
                          And that it does state on the machines they will not accept certain coins but fails to tell you what to do if that is all you have (apart that is from accosting total strangers!) And asking to see a record of faults reported in the area

Just got this reply

Click image for larger version

Name:	pcn.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	1155657
                          Last edited by dogtired; 28th August 2012, 11:52:AM. Reason: removing personal details

Comment

Excellent result, rather honest of them to admit there was a problem, and obviously you're now forearmed as well that these machines have logs which record any and all transactions and problems, so thats good evidential material for others for the future.

Comment

Indeed! Saved and printed out the e mails all thanks as well to all for the advice would not have known without LB! The other half now owes me a beer!:tinysmile_grin_t:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X