• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Advice Wanted for PCN / Debt Recovery Letter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice Wanted for PCN / Debt Recovery Letter

Hi,

I'm a newbie, but came across this site, and hoped somebody might be able to advise on a parkingg issue I have;

On 23/06/2024, I took my family to 'The Airport Pub' near Manchester Airport.
    The Car Park is operated by a company called 'Smart Parking' which uses ANPR to track vehicles entering / exiting.

It was a Sunday, and the Car Park was full, but I was told after entering by a Car Park Marshall to wait with the car for somebody to leave, and to stay in the car.
    After 15-20 minutes, a bay became available, so I parked in it, and payed £5.60 for a 3 Hour stay.
    Unfortunately, I did not retain the receipt from the machine, which required you to enter your vehicle registration, and I can't prove I entered the correct plate number of my car.

A couple of weeks later I received a PCN from Smart Parking with a date of issue of 05/07/2024 saying that I had failed to pay for sufficient time, supported by ANPR images of my car arriving at 14:00, and leaving at15:38, a stay of 1 hour 38 minutes.

I went through Smart Parking's online appeal process, explaining that I had paid after being delayed being able to buy a ticket, and received an automated email on 13/07/2024 stating;

'We can confirm that your appeal has been received and that all action has been suspended pending adjudication. We will endeavour to respond to your appeal within 28 days.

If your appeal has been received within 28 days of issue of the Parking Charge Notice (PCN) and your appeal is unsuccessful, the PCN will revert to the amount outstanding at the point of appeal and the payment terms will be extended.

Please remember to check your junk and spam folders periodically.'

I never heard anything after that from Smart Parking, but this week I received a letter from 'Debt Recovery Plus' dated 13/09/2024 chasing me for the unpaid PCN, and asking for £170 to settle the claim.

I can only think the PCN was either issued because I input the wrong registration plate number, or for the delay in purchaing a ticket.
    I probably would have paid the reduced fee of £60 had my appeal been rejected, but Smart Parking never advised me of the outcome.

So far I have emailed my complaint to Smart Parking to say they never responded to my appeal, and also emailed the Admin at 'The Airport Pub' to see if they can cancel the charge. Neither have responded

My question is, should I pay the £170 to settle the claim, or hold out to see if they pursue me via the courts
    Last edited by MCFC22; Yesterday, 21:09:PM.
    Tags: None

I suppose you identified the driver when appealing to Smart Parking?
    Pity, as the original Notice to Keeper would have been received after the 14 day period.

Debt Recovery Plus are only debt collectors and can do nothing

You could (if you have proof of your visit to the pub) try asking the pub to have the charge cancelled, but this time go to the pub in person and speak to the manager.

otherwise I would just wait and see

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X