• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Final Notice Letter - Empira

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final Notice Letter - Empira

Afternoon Beagles,

I received a final notice letter from Empira this afternoon regarding an alleged parking offence involving my vehicle. They are claiming there is an outstanding debt of £160 owing to Local Parking Security Ltd. I have no intention of paying this and will defend my position, but to begin with I wanted to get some advice about responding to this letter (if at all).

I have drafted the following with the help of ChatGPT support and wanted to get some advice on recommended changes please.

I am writing in response to your Take Formal Notice letter dated 24/05/2024, in which you claim that a parking charge of £160 is owed due to my vehicle being parked without a valid ticket displayed.

Please be advised that I am the registered keeper of the vehicle in question; however, I was not the driver at the time of the alleged contravention. As such, I dispute any liability for this alleged debt.

Under UK law, specifically the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012, Schedule 4, liability for unpaid parking charges can be transferred to the keeper of the vehicle only if certain conditions are met. These include, but are not limited to, providing clear and specific information about the parking charges and the alleged contravention, as well as adhering to strict timelines for issuing the notice to keeper. To date, I have not received any such notice that complies with the requirements set out in Schedule 4.

Moreover, the case of ParkingEye Ltd v Beavis [2015] UKSC 67 established that any parking charge must be fair and not punitive. In my opinion, the sum of £160 is excessive and disproportionate to any alleged breach of contract, further invalidating your claim.

In light of the above, I request that you provide the following information:
    1. Proof that the driver of the vehicle at the time of the alleged contravention was aware of the terms and conditions of parking.
    2. Evidence that the requirements of Schedule 4 of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 have been met in full.
    3. A detailed breakdown of the charges and how they were calculated.

Until such time as you can provide this information, I consider this matter to be in dispute. Furthermore, I do not give consent for my personal data to be processed any further in relation to this alleged debt.
    Should you fail to provide the requested information within 14 days, I will have no option but to consider the matter closed. Please be aware that any further harassment or attempt to collect this disputed debt may result in a formal complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service and the Information Commissioner's Office.

I trust this clarifies my position. I look forward to your prompt response.

Yours faithfully,

Any suggested changes welcome! My intention is to post it first class with proof of sending from the post office.

Thanks

OJ
    Tags: None

To my mind that should do. If your point about compliance with the POFA is correct, that should be sufficient. I am less sanguine about your Parking Eye v Beavis point.

See what others may say.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Was this letter the first you received about this alleged parking charge?

Could you upload a copy to a hosting site and provide us with a link? (first removing identifying details but leave in all dates and times)

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
        Was this letter the first you received about this alleged parking charge?

Could you upload a copy to a hosting site and provide us with a link? (first removing identifying details but leave in all dates and times)
        Here is a link to the letter I am referring to. I did receive one prior to this, but I discarded it without making a copy, which in hindsight was maybe a silly thing to do.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/krLjUSqbmdyEmMn8A

Thanks for responding

OJ

Comment

Well I would ignore that letter!
          EMPIRA are, in this instance, acting as toothless debt collectors and admit they have been unsuccessful and are returning it to the parking company. with recommendation they commence a court claim.
          They will ignore your letter anyway and just pester you for money!

If the Parking company follow the advice they (or their solicitors) will have to follow pre-action protocols and write to you setting out their intention.
          At that point you can request copies of documentation they intend to rely on, and when the original Parking Charge Notice etc are available your defence can be constructed

Comment

Hi there. Sorry to resurrect a post but thought it better than creating a new post with a similar issue.

I've just received the same letter and wanted to know the outcome of your response. The alleged contravention was back in Feb 2023 so I have no memory of it and have asked Empira for evidence

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X