• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Parking fine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parking fine

Hey guys

So a few months back we parked in Manchester and paid £9,50 for parking.
    2 months later we had a parking charge for non payment. We appealed and sent a copy of our receipt of payment. We have received a response and they say that my wife had put a zero in stead of a 0 on her reg

what shall we do

thanks Carl
    Tags: None

Are the parking company still requesting payment????

Parking companies belong to one of two associations. BPA or IPC

The BPA code of practice states:
    17.4 The Code recognises that keying errors can be grouped into 2 main areas; A) Minor Keying Errors Examples of a minor keying error could include: • 0 instead of o ...................
    These are minor errors where up to one character has been entered incorrectly .................... If a typing error such as this leads to a PCN being issued and the motorist appeals, the PCN must be cancelled at the first stage of appeal.

The IPC code of practice states:
    15.7 Where a Parking Charge, that has been issued for a vehicle in a Public Use Car Park, is appealed in timeframes set out in 19.1.3 and it is evidenced the motorist; had paid fully for the parking, and had complied with all other conditions of parking, and Has received a Parking Charge due to a reasonable genuine error (it is unlikely to be a reasonable error, for example, where the driver makes the same error more than once having been informed of the error) The motorist shall be given an opportunity to make a Reduced Settlement Payment of £20. The offer must be available 14 for days and clearly communicated to the motorist that appealing to the IAS will remove the ability to conclude with payment of £20

So the charge should either be waived or reduced.

So depending on the identity of the company point out they are breaching their code of practice

Comment

And it is a requirement of the DVLA that PPCs asking for Registered Keeper details comply with the relevant code of practice:

"To make sure motorists are treated fairly when any parking or trespass charge is pursued, DVLA will only provide vehicle keeper details where the company is a member of an Accredited Trade Association (ATA).

ATAs enforce a code of practice which covers many aspects of a car parking operator’s business. While complying with the code of practice is an important consideration for DVLA when releasing vehicle keeper data, not all requirements of the code affect reasonable cause.

DVLA will not disclose data to parking or trespass companies who are not members of an ATA. We expect the ATAs to monitor adherence to the code of practice and investigate and address non-compliance when it arises
      "

inf-266-release-of-information-from-dvlas-registers.pdf (publishing.service.gov.uk)
      All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Thanks for getting back to me. I have uploaded the recent letter
        Attached Files

Comment

So this was not a charge for a private car park, but a Penalty Charge Notice from a council (a totally different matter)

As there had apparently been an earlier similar mistake, and there was a warning a similar mistake would lead to the charge being maintained, I really don't know if it is worth appealing as the full circumstances of the event have not been described e.g. driver was distracted by children.
          However an appeal is unlikely to end in a costs award so I suppose it might be worth an appeal.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X