• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

CP Plus penalty

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CP Plus penalty

Hi

Had a letter from CP Plus about staying in one of their car parks 45 mins over the maximum time limit.

The letter was addressed and issued to the wrong name (basically they've missed a letter off my first name).

I used their online submission form to say they'd sent their penalty notice to the wrong name and they've emailed me to ask for the full name and address of the driver at the time the offence occurred.

Should I now email back using the Schedule 4 of The Protection Of Freedoms Act 2012 template? Or has my goose been cooked by using their submission form?

Thanks in advance.
    TDB
    Tags: None

Hopefully one of the experts will be along soon to advise but in the meantime do nothing and NEVER tell them who the driver was. If you tell them you were the driver you give away valuable POFA rights.

A minor point, but these companies send their letters to the name and address shown on the vehicle's V5C registration document ('log book'). They get that information directly from the DVLA in Swansea. Is it possible that your first name is mispelt on the V5C so the DVLA records are holding the wrong spelling?
    All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Could you please post up copies of all you have received, and also the exact wording you used on their submission form.
      First remove identifying details but leave in all dates and times
      Photos of the signs at the car park also if possible.
      One letter off in your first name is not going to be the basis of any defence!

You are under no obligation to identify the driver.

Comment

Hi

Thanks for your replies.

Just checked and yes my name is wrong on the V5C - my fault - will contact DVLA to change.

Have attached the letter - split in two parts for easier viewing.

And here's what I wrote on their submission form:
        'The penalty you sent has been issued to <incorrect name was inserted here>. This is not my name nor the name on my licence issued by the DVLA. Please issue the letter again with my correct name.'

I haven't got photos of the signs at the car park but will try to get them if necessary.

Best wishes,
        TDB
        Attached Files

Comment

So send them:

Dear Sirs,
          I have received your Notice to Keeper xxxxx for vehicle VRM xxxx
          You have failed to comply with the requirements of Schedule 4 of The Protection Of Freedoms Act 2012 namely, but not limited to, failing to invite the keeper to pay the unpaid parking charges; as prescribed by section 9 (2) (e) of the Act. You cannot, therefore, transfer liability for the alleged charge from the driver at the time to me, the keeper.
          There is no legal requirement to name the driver at the time and I will not be doing so.
          I do not expect to hear from you again, or your debt collectors, except to confirm that no further action will be taken on this matter and my personal details have been removed from your records.
          Yours etc

Send first class with free certificate of posting from post office.
          They won't accept it, but it is the first stage you need to go through

Photos of the signs might be useful eventually as from google the fonts seem very small, and if the signs are unlit and your vehicle was there at night time ........

Also the address on the PCN isn't very complete>>>>

Do not identify the driver when writing to them or when posting on this site (we know parking companies do scan internet sites like LB)

Comment

Thanks DES8.

Does it have to be by post or can I reply to their email, or both?

I'll get over to the car park asap.

Comment

If you send email, confirm in it that a hard copy will follow.
              Then send a hard copy

Comment

Thanks. Will send email and then a letter.

Comment

One last question, and apologies if this is obvious. Do I name the keeper and the full VRM in the letter/email, as well as the PCN?

Comment

If the VRM and your name are in the PCN they have sent you - and I assume they are - then it is fine to repeat it back to them in your letter/email. In the draft in Post #5 it acknowledges that you are the Keeper.
                    All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Thanks Pallasathena

Comment

Hi
                        I had a reply by email just one week after writing and emailing. This is their response:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your correspondence relating to your Parking Charge.

Further to your representations, we have investigated your claims and can confirm that your Charge has subsequently been cancelled in full and no further action will be taken.

Please disregard any letters received that predate this correspondence.

Yours faithfully,

CP Plus Ltd

Many thanks for all your help.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X