• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Fixed penalty notice for engine idling

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixed penalty notice for engine idling

Hi guys,

Slightly different to the usual we see.

I’ve been issued a fpn by a council officer for being In the car engine running. It’s very hot and I’m not going to lie had to ac on whilst I was waiting for someone.

I’ve Read in many places that they have to tell you to switch the engine off. I was not given the chance instead just given the fine. Ii
    Didn’t even know it was an offence to be honest with you.

The officer said on camera that he watched me for 4 minutes with my engine on.. but on the ticket it says they observed me for 6
    minutes?

im not sure if I have a leg to stand on. Do I just pay it?
    Tags: None

I have to admit I had no iea it was an offence either.

There is an explanation of the law here Engine idling law: is idling illegal in the UK? - Confused.com

It seems the offence is committed under Part 6 of the Road Traffic (Vehicle Emissions) (Fixed Penalty) (England) Regulations 2002. My interpretation of those regulations are that there are two different offences. One, under paragraph 12, is refusing to turn your engine off when told to do so by an 'authorised official'.The second under paragraph 13 says that if the official believes you have been idling your engine while stopped they can issue a penalty notice. The two offences aren't linked, there's no requirement to have been told turn your engine off before a penalty notice can be issued.

In my opinion you don't have any defence and if I were you I would just pay and chalk it up to experience.
    All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X