• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Debt Recovery Plus letter but no PCN

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debt Recovery Plus letter but no PCN

A letter arrived from Debt Recovery Plus claiming I owe £170 non-payment of a Parking Charge Notice from Smart Parking Ltd. The offence was overstaying free time period and the car park had ANPR.

But I didn't recieve any prior letters, PCN ticket or Notice to Keeper from Smart Parking Ltd.

Well, I've spent most of my evening reading really boring forum posts on lots of the usual sites (no offence guys, I much rather have been doing something else) trying to find more about Debt Recovery Plus. I've found a lot of stuff about how to appeal Parking Charge Notices, but only confusion on how to deal with debt chasers chasing PCNs THAT NEVER ARRIVED!

Thankfully I've found this forum (which primarily makes things a damn site easier to read than other forums!)
    So I'm posting my efforts here in the hope that I can confirm I'm doing the right thing, and hopefully I'll save some other poor soul from wasting hours looking at boring posts on debt chasers chasing non-existent PCNs

I have a couple of questions/statements which I think I know the answer to but don't wish to assume I'm correct:
    1. The Landholder (or the parking company on their behalf) has 14 days to send a Notice to Keeper (NTK)
    2. Keeper then has 28 days to respond to the NTK, either naming the driver, appeal, or pay the charge..
    3. I can appeal this NTK on the grounds that Smart Parking Ltd. have to failed comply with the requirements of Schedule 4 of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 to notify the keeper within 14 days and therefore the charge is no longer applicable? (this is the main question I have, feel free to comment below)
    4. (edited to add) How do I prove that I didn't receive the PCN in the first place?! How can I prove a negative?
    The BIG question everyone has on all forums is of course "How do I respond?" to these Non-PCNs Or should that question even be "Do I respond?"

Some suggestions in this thread may be useful: https://legalbeagles.info/forums/for...-t-been-issued
    One suggestion is to go down the GDPR route and request my data. I presume that, by passing my data to the debt collection co without trying to charge me with PCN beforehand, they will be in breach if the data protection act? Clarification needed on this point

So do to write Smart Parking Ltd to appeal as I haven't yet received any PCN within 14 days, or ask for my data first? Feel free to discuss.
    My instinct is to quote Schedule 4/14 days at them and tell them to bog off.

Oh, and, er, sorry... that post was longer than intended...
    Last edited by Fij_; 30th May 2023, 23:54:PM.
    Tags: None

Originally posted by Fij_ View Post
    A letter arrived from Debt Recovery Plus claiming I owe £170 non-payment of a Parking Charge Notice from Smart Parking Ltd. The offence was overstaying free time period and the car park had ANPR.

But I didn't recieve any prior letters, PCN ticket or Notice to Keeper from Smart Parking Ltd.

Well, I've spent most of my evening reading really boring forum posts on lots of the usual sites (no offence guys, I much rather have been doing something else) trying to find more about Debt Recovery Plus. I've found a lot of stuff about how to appeal Parking Charge Notices, but only confusion on how to deal with debt chasers chasing PCNs THAT NEVER ARRIVED!

Thankfully I've found this forum (which primarily makes things a damn site easier to read than other forums!)
    So I'm posting my efforts here in the hope that I can confirm I'm doing the right thing, and hopefully I'll save some other poor soul from wasting hours looking at boring posts on debt chasers chasing non-existent PCNs

I have a couple of questions/statements which I think I know the answer to but don't wish to assume I'm correct:
    1. The Landholder (or the parking company on their behalf) has 14 days to send a Notice to Keeper (NTK)
    2. Keeper then has 28 days to respond to the NTK, either naming the driver, appeal, or pay the charge..
    3. I can appeal this NTK on the grounds that Smart Parking Ltd. have to failed comply with the requirements of Schedule 4 of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 to notify the keeper within 14 days and therefore the charge is no longer applicable? (this is the main question I have, feel free to comment below)
      Depends on the facts of the issue. As you haven't divulged full details, it's not possible to comment.
    4. (edited to add) How do I prove that I didn't receive the PCN in the first place?! How can I prove a negative?
      With difficulty.
    The BIG question everyone has on all forums is of course "How do I respond?" to these Non-PCNs Or should that question even be "Do I respond?"

Some suggestions in this thread may be useful: https://legalbeagles.info/forums/for...-t-been-issued
    One suggestion is to go down the GDPR route and request my data. I presume that, by passing my data to the debt collection co without trying to charge me with PCN beforehand, they will be in breach if the data protection act? Clarification needed on this point
    Not necessarily (or usually) so.
    For example, the 'contract' (site sign) often obtains consent to refer to 3rd parties.

So do to write Smart Parking Ltd to appeal as I haven't yet received any PCN within 14 days, or ask for my data first? Feel free to discuss.
    You could SAR the parking company, or wait for a letter before claim & deal with it under CPR.
    Or both.

My instinct is to quote Schedule 4/14 days at them and tell them to bog off.

Oh, and, er, sorry... that post was longer than intended...
    Do not respond to DRP, or any other debt collector, re these private parking charges.
    They have no locus standi to enforce the alleged invoice charge. (Research 'privity of contract').
    In most circumstances, respond as registered keeper.
    Do not ID who was driving at the time.
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

So the games begin...
      Following the letter I received from Debt Recovery Plus, I wrote a letter to Smart Parking Ltd. as below:

To whom it may concern at Smart Parking Ltd.
      Subject access request (Data Protection Act 2018 / General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR))
      Regarding data for the me at the address stated above, for vehicle registration number <XX00 XXX>, and for parking charge notice XXnnnnnnn
      Please supply the data about me that I am entitled to under data protection law relating to myself.
      If you need any more data from me to confirm my identity please let me know as soon as possible. It may be helpful for you to know that data protection law requires you to respond to a request for data within one calendar month.
      If you do not normally deal with these requests, please pass this letter to your Data Protection Officer, or relevant staff member. If you need advice on dealing with this request, the Information Commissioner’s Office can assist you. Its website is ico.org.uk or it can be contacted on 0303 123 1113.

Additionally...
      Re: Parking charge notice XXnnnnnn and Debt Recovery Plus reference nnnnnn
      I have apparently been issued with a parking charge notice for parking at <redacted location> on dd/mm/yyyy.
      However, I have not received any such parking charge notice. The first time I was aware of such a charge was on receipt of a letter from Debt Recovery Plus, dated mm/05/2023, that I receive today on mm+5/05/2023.
      I have not received any Notice to Keeper (NTK) or any subsequent reminders
      It is my statement that I am responding to your communications at the first opportunity available to me.
      The letters states:
      “You may not have responded to previous letters…”
      The fact that the word “letters” has been used suggest that multiple letters have been sent, all of which seem to be missing. I find this disturbing.
      Please respond as soon as possible with the information I requested, especially all information regarding the PCN
      So I emailed the letter above to Smart Parking Ltd. to see what what would happen... <tbc>

Comment

Sure enough, about a week later I receive the PCN. The interesting things to note:

Comment

Originally posted by Fij_ View Post
          Sure enough, about a week later I receive the PCN. The interesting things to note:
          ????
          CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
          Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Sorry, don't know what happened to this rest of that post. Perhaps the rest of it happened in my head. Any hoo,

Interesting parts
            1. 69 days between date of issue and date of contravention.
            2. They haven't provided me with the original PCN but created a new one AFTER they issued the letter from Debt Recovery Plus
            3. looking like it's compliant with Protections of Freedoms Act 2012 and referring to October 2012 and POPLA while not saying that this is a "Notice to Keeper" and using "if you wish to provide the drivers details" because presumably they can't compel you too.
            So I'll be using this template, from another thread on this forum, via their online form to reject their speculative invoice:

Dear Sirs,

I have just received your Notice to Keeper xxxxx for vehicle VRM xxxx

You have failed to comply with the requirements of Schedule 4 of The Protection Of
            Freedoms Act 2012 namely, but not limited to, failing to deliver the notice within the relevant
            period of 14 days as prescribed by section 9 (4) of the Act.

You cannot, therefore, transfer liability for the alleged charge from the driver at the time to me, the keeper.

There is no legal requirement to name the driver at the time and I will not be doing so.

Any further communication with me on this matter, apart from confirmation of no further action
            and my details being removed from your records, will be considered vexatious and
            harassment. This includes communication from any Debt Collection companies you care to
            instruct.

Yours etc

Unless anything else can be added?
            Click image for larger version

Name:	PCN P1 redacted-a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	1647999Click image for larger version

Name:	PCN P2 redacted-a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	1648000

Comment

Although it should be automatic, if it were me I'd request a POPLA code if they (Smart) reject the appeal.
              CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
              Phelps, C. C.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X