• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Parking Eye Charge Notice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parking Eye Charge Notice

Hello all,

I as keeper received a Parking Charge Notice for an alleged offence on the 14th December 2022. It wasnt received until the 30th December 2022, outside of the 14 days. To which I responded:

--------------
    You have failed to comply with the requirements of Schedule 4 of The Protection Of Freedoms Act 2012 namely, but not limited to, failing to deliver the notice within the relevant period of 14 days as prescribed by section 9 (4) of the Act. You cannot, therefore, transfer liability for the alleged charge from the driver at the time to me, the keeper.

There is no legal requirement to name the driver at the time and I will not be doing so.

Any further communication with me on this matter, apart from confirmation of no further action and my details being removed from your records, will be considered vexatious and harassment. This includes communication from any Debt Collection companies you care to instruct
    -------------

Parking Eye have responded, completely ignoring the fact it was outside of the 14 days and instead just written to the effect that I had not informed them who the driver was and that I should do so, and if not they have the right to recover from me as keeper. Referencing the same schedule of the Protections of Freedoms Act.

I assume the correct response is to respond re-iterating the fact their notice was received after 16 days and therefore I have no requirement to inform them of anything and their notice is invalid.

Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards

Oz.
    Tags: None

Basically you are correct BUT..........

The NTK needs to be posted/issued 3 days before the expiry of the 14 day deadline.
    This is because it is presumed to be delivered 2 days after the day of posting
    Actual wording:
    "A notice sent by post is to be presumed, unless the contrary is proved, to have been delivered (and so “given” for the purposes of sub-paragraph (4)) on the second working day after the day on which it is posted; and for this purpose “working day” means any day other than a Saturday, Sunday or a public holiday in England and Wales."

Do the calculations, but Parking Eye rarely get it wrong, so unless you have proof of a delayed receipt they will keep chasing.
    I calculate they needed to issue on 22/12, but check it yourself
    However still do not identify the driver as they may slip up somewhere down the line.

Comment

Hi, Thanks for your reply.

It seems a bit flawed, that they are presumed for it to be delivered, when there is absolutely zero way to prove what day something was posted through a letter box without proof of delivery.

The only thing I guess that may be in my favour is that they posted it just after a 4 days of postal strikes and a few days before another 2 day postal strike, Christmas, and two bank holidays along with an announcement that the postal service would be prioritising parcel delivery.

For the time being, as the deadline has been frozen, is it worth just writing back with the same point about it not being received. Surely the onus should be on them to prove a positive rather than me to prove a negative, annoying sods!

Comment

Sorry, but I did not draft the law (which is on the whole a good thing!)

There is no harm in responding and reminding them that apparently they have not taken note of your comments regarding late delivery

Comment

Sometimes it seems that laws are drafted without a dash of common sense.

Thank you regardless for taking the time to reply.

Have a great weekend.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X