• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

UKPC & Debt letter DCBL

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UKPC & Debt letter DCBL

Hi
    New to the forum but inspired to seek advice after receiving a letter today from DCBL.
    The debt amount is associated with parking in my husbands space which he owns and not displaying a permit. The date was 10/042016.
    I challenged the fine based on the fact that the space I parked in was my partners which he owned and that the permit was in the vehicle but faded with the sun. I heard nothing.
    Fast forward to today...five years on and I received this letter stating I owed them £160 and that I was no longer able to appeal but that I could dispute the charge if the matter was taken to court.

I have read other forum threads about both UKPC and DCBL and a general consensus is not to engage with this debt collection threat. Another suggested speaking to the management company about this and we do still own the flat but my now husband doesn’t reside in the flat anymore. Could this end up in court ?

I’m stunned that all these years on I receive this out of the blue and have had no correspondence prior to this letter. I no longer have a copy of my challenge as it’s so long ago, so cannot provide this evidence.

Advice gratefully received
    Tags: None

So get out the lease and see what it says about parking. There is already a contract to park and you have no need of the contract they were offering by the signs. Your lease makes no mention of having to display a permit nor pay a third party stranger.

They are trespassing on your property and running a business on it without your permission. They do not have the permission of the landholder to operate, as required by their Code of Practise.

Comment

Google 'laches'.

Also

"Equity aids the vigilant not the indolent"

Vigilantibus non dormientibus aequitas subvenit.

A person who has been wronged must act relatively swiftly to preserve their rights. Otherwise, they are guilty of laches, an untoward delay in litigation with the presumed intent of denying claims. This differs from a statute of limitations, in that a delay is particularized to individual situations, rather than a general prescribed legal amount of time. In addition, even where a limitation period has not yet run, laches may still occur. The equitable rule of laches and acquiescence was first introduced in Chief Young Dede v. African Association Ltd[10]

Alternatives:
      • Delay defeats equity
      • Equity aids the vigilant, not those who sleep on their rights"
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxims...t_the_indolent
      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
      gets his brain a-going.
      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X