• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Unfair parking charges for stopping and waiting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unfair parking charges for stopping and waiting

I received a ticket in the summer for stopping at Exeter Road car park in Braunton. My daughter (3) had a call of nature and needed her potty, the whole episode took a little time as it can do, we stopped for 10 minutes, and they will have footage of the potty stop. I appealed and it was rejected on the basis that there is adequate signage stating 'no stopping or waiting'. I offered to pay for an amount equivalent to their loss for the period we stopped (their were other free parking spaces at the time). I was not provided with evidence of the sign and neither I nor my husband remember seeing a clear sign stating a penalty for stopping or waiting. I am fairly sure the signage was not clear. On receiving the appeal I missed the part, in smaller font below, which stated about the appear to POPLA and its been a full on year, we had Covid and there have been family issues so I dropped the ball on that. I am now faced with a £160 bill, £100 for the toilet stop plus £60 debt recovery. Should I continue to fight it? Would their damages be based on their loss if successful? I feel even if the signage was clear, they had spare spaces, so I cannot see that they have suffered loss more than the cost of 10 minutes parking. If they issued, presumably I could get it transferred to my local court (London) as the defendant? Thanks in advance
    Tags: None

They are claiming for a sum the driver agreed to pay for a breach of conditions in the parking contract, the contract created by the signs.

Yes, any court case will be at the court of your choice.

use Google maps to get a picture of the signs.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X