• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Mysterious ANPR parking fine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mysterious ANPR parking fine

Hello. My 79 year old mother is the registered keeper of a vehicle and as such, received a £100 parking fine notice on 30 October, reduced to £60 if she pays up within 14 days. The date of the event was 22 September.

I visited the car park which appears to have a new automatic system in place run by Smart Parking. You are automatically given 45 minutes free with various charges for periods up to 3 hours.

There are images of the vehicle arriving and departing with a stay of approximately 90 minutes.

It is my assumption that the driver has inserted a typo when entering the vehicle's registration number therefore the computer has not registered payment against said vehicle.

My mother is extremely worried by this unfair claim. Is there anything that can be done?

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Nerolab; 3rd November 2020, 07:00:AM.
    Tags: None

Edit your post so that the identity of the driver cannot be inferred, use "the driver......" etc. The driver drove and the keeper received the paperwork and is handling it.

Post up a copy of the Notice received, suitably redacted but leave dates. They have to get the Notice to the keeper within 14 days, unless it is a hire car. If the don't they can only go after the driver, whose identity they do not know unless you tell them.

It's also BPA which means an error in typing the number should be ignored or £20 if completely wrong.

Interesting bit of confusion in the sign: They state parking tariff at the top and then in the small font they state period of stay is calculated from the cameras. Is the contract for stay or parking?

Comment

Originally posted by ostell View Post
      Edit your post so that the identity of the driver cannot be inferred, use "the driver......" etc. The driver drove and the keeper received the paperwork and is handling it.

Post up a copy of the Notice received, suitably redacted but leave dates. They have to get the Notice to the keeper within 14 days, unless it is a hire car. If the don't they can only go after the driver, whose identity they do not know unless you tell them.

It's also BPA which means an error in typing the number should be ignored or £20 if completely wrong.

Interesting bit of confusion in the sign: They state parking tariff at the top and then in the small font they state period of stay is calculated from the cameras. Is the contract for stay or parking?
      Sadly the image of the correspondence is poor and difficult to read as my mother's phone is not the highest smartphone spec!

What do you recommend that she do next?

Thanks for your help in this matter.

Comment

To be able to help really need to be able to read the Notice to Keeper. As it is Smart then there are likely errors in it.

Comment

Ok let me see if I can get a better rendition.

Comment

Originally posted by ostell View Post
            To be able to help really need to be able to read the Notice to Keeper. As it is Smart then there are likely errors in it.
            Unfortunately I have been distracted leading to this delay and the 14 day period expires this Friday so we are running low on time. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
            Attached Files

Comment

Still can't read the text fully but if it is not a hire car then .....

Dear Sirs,

I have received your Notice to Keeper No. xxxxx for vehicle VRM xxxx

You have failed to comply with the requirements of Schedule 4 of The Protection Of Freedoms Act 2012 namely, but not limited to, failing to deliver the notice within the relevant period of 14 days as prescribed by section 9 (4) of the Act. You cannot, therefore, transfer liability for the alleged charge from the driver at the time to me, the keeper.

There is no legal requirement to name the driver at the time and I will not be doing so.

Any further communication with me on this matter, apart from confirmation of no further action and my details being removed from your records, will be considered vexatious and harassment. This includes communication from any Debt Collection companies you care to instruct.

Yours etc

Comment

Thank you so much. I will advise the registered keeper to act accordingly.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X