• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Yet another MET pcn

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another MET pcn

Hi, and hello to all on this forum. I seldom need legal advice thankfully but I am currently at loggerheads with MET who it seems are frequently mentioned on here, so I thought I would seek advice before caving in and paying as they are now threatening court action.
    In mid December 2018 we parked on yellow lines in the service station at Stansted for all of two minutes while coffee was bought (no choice as predictably there is nowhere else to park if the few bays are taken), a pcn charge then followed...at the end of Jan 2019. I will have to fish the paperwork out for the exact dates but what i do know is the pcn was dated and received way outside of 28 days - hence I informed them by email as such (having seen similar posts on this site through google search), that as they were out of time so to speak that no charge would be paid; using the template response that again, was sourced from these forums.
    Since then I have received two letter, one stating that my last response had been received (about 10 days ago), followed by another letter today stating that "the charge is now overdue, and if not paid within 14 days would escalate to to debt recovery agents to secure immediate payment or the issuing of court proceedings."

Also...
    "Please be advised that the independent appeal service, POPLA, is no longer available and that payment of this notice will close the case on our records and also close our formal appeals process. Correspondence received after a case is closed may not be replied to."

Any advice please, is very , Phil H
    Last edited by PhilH69; 30th March 2019, 20:51:PM.
    Tags: None

Hi

Did you ID who was driving at the time of the alleged contravention?
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
      Hi

Did you ID who was driving at the time of the alleged contravention?
      No, they have responded to me as the registered keeper of the vehicle
      But surely the issue here is that the PCN arrived on my door way outside the permitted period?

Comment

Originally posted by PhilH69 View Post

No, they have responded to me as the registered keeper of the vehicle
        But surely the issue here is that the PCN arrived on my door way outside the permitted period?
        Yes.......for PoFA 2012
        It is only via PoFA that liability can be transferred from the driver to the registered keeper.

But if they 'abandon' PoFA & action it via common law breach of contract, the PoFA time limits mean diddlysquat.
        The limitation Act 1980 kicks in....they have up to 6 years from the cause of action to bring a claim.

But.......there is no transferrence of liability.
        They can only pursue whoever was driving at the time of the alleged contravention, because it is that person who saw (or ought to have seen) the site signage which formed the terms of the contract.
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post

Yes.......for PoFA 2012
          It is only via PoFA that liability can be transferred from the driver to the registered keeper.

But if they 'abandon' PoFA & action it via common law breach of contract, the PoFA time limits mean diddlysquat.
          The limitation Act 1980 kicks in....they have up to 6 years from the cause of action to bring a claim.

But.......there is no transferrence of liability.
          They can only pursue whoever was driving at the time of the alleged contravention, because it is that person who saw (or ought to have seen) the site signage which formed the terms of the contract.

Excuse my ignorance, but are you saying that they are assuming that the registered keeper was driving but cannot actually prove that? Is this pcn ultimately pursueable, I don't quite follow

Comment

Yes they can still chase the driver for the charge, and only the driver as there can be no keeper liability because of the POFA failures,

They can chance their hand and try to take it to court in the hope that the keeper gets scared and gives in or makes a mistake and identifies the driver.

A strong letter confirming that you are the keeper of the car and can have no liability in this matter because of their POFA fails. Their continuing letters are causing concern and distress and constitute harassment. Please refer to Ferguson v British Gas.

Could be emails got lost so send by first class post and a free certificate of posting from any post office.

Comment

Originally posted by ostell View Post
              Please refer to Ferguson v British Gas.
              Lord Justice Jacob:
              • It is one of the glories of this country that every now and then one of its citizens is prepared to take a stand against the big battalions of government or industry
              https://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/2009/46.html

CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
              Phelps, C. C.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X