• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

DVLA 'Requisition' for Uninsured Vehicle (which wasn't)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVLA 'Requisition' for Uninsured Vehicle (which wasn't)

Not sure what to do;
    I sold a vehicle in November 2013, basically the new owner car dealer didn't know whether he was scrapping the car or fixing up and selling and as he had 6/7 V5's in hand from cars he bought he convinced me to part with mine, only leaving me with a signed letter confirming his details, the date, the vehicle reg etc. i.e. a receipt for the car. After selling the car I cancelled my insurance as I got a company car and no longer needed insurance myself.

I have since moved house and the current occupier forwarded me details from DVLA at end of April that the car tax had run out on 31st March and from their records the car was uninsured. I replied with a copy of the receipt letter from the new owner stating that I no longer owned the car.

15th May DVLA replied saying they were looking into this as it is my responsibility to notify them of new owner and states "As the registered keeper you remain responsible for licensing and insuring the vehicle, or making a SORN". They said they had received my letter and would send me an acknowledgment letter within 20 days.

This was completely out of my mind until 5th July when I have received a Requisition letter asking me to attend court because the vehicle "did not meet the insurance requirements"

Do I now go to court to plead my case? Will they listen? Should I contact DVLA to find out more?

I have given them written proof of the vehicle being transferred ownership, surely they have a leg to stand on if they are taking it further because I haven't informed them of the change of ownership - but to take me to court over an insurance issue with a car I no longer own is a bit off - can they do that? Is it right??? Help!
    Tags: None

Re: DVLA 'Requisition' for Uninsured Vehicle (which wasn't)

Hi Jimbo

I suggest you have a read here first http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...DVLA-for-court
    Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Thanks Tools,
      Have read it (what i can without losing the plot) and am still not sure what the best course of action is?
      Do they have a case, seems unreasonable to me that it's about insurance now? Do i need to report the car as SORN? Although i presume now this car has been borken up and will never see the light of day!
      p.s. the user on ebay that bought the vehicle is no longer an ebay user...

Comment

You should have informed the DVLA at the time you sold the car and that you were no longer the registered keeper. No matter what the new buyer says that is your responsibility and your safeguard against such an issue as this.

Contact them again and explain again. When is the court date?
        Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

hi court date is 24th July :tinysmile_cry_t:

Comment

Phoned them today, they aren't interested, as I technically owned the vehicle in April when they checked the system and the car wasn't insured I am liable - I must either pay £100 today or it will go to court.

What do I do for the best?

Comment

You choice here £100 or all the hassle of defending a Court action you have to decide

Comment

I can send my plea to court without attending, I'm happy to write a full statement out to send in. I can report the guy that bought the car to the police as he "conned" me into taking the V5, which I admit was stupid of me, and now it seems has done a disappearing act.

Will that help or just be seen to be avoiding it if I don't attend in person?

It just seems very odd that someone who admits to making a genuine mistake, and can prove that I haven't driven the car uninsured am getting fined for it?

Comment

What will the Police do? As you said it was stupid of you.
                  By all means defend but I would expect that stating a Defence of a Genuine mistake might not work How can you prove you never drove the car uninsured? .
                  I am not getting at you but looking at this from the otherside It was your responsibility to inform the DVLA they don't seem to accept excuses.
                  If you decide to defend Bluebottle on here will help wait for his advice

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X