• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Unaware of revoked licence now facing points....can i argue this??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unaware of revoked licence now facing points....can i argue this??

Hi everyone

New to this but hoping someone can help me fight for little points as possible and low or no fine??!

I had my licence revoked in August 2012 for medical reasons - I only became aware of this when i was stopped by police and they informed me i had no licence, therefore no insurance and they took my car in June 2013!

I had recvd a letter from DVLA asking for me to complete medical forms in approx June 2012, I completed and posted back but never heard anything back so carried on driving as normal assuming my drs must have said it was ok. Then i got stopped and informed of this.

I am awaiting a court date for my points/fine but think its unfair the DVLA didnt let me know and as a result im facing points/fine and lost my car!!

Is there anything i can do??

Thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Unaware of revoked licence now facing points....can i argue this??

They will no doubt say they informed the OP there lies the big problem proving they did not receive it?

Comment

Thanks for the reply

So this would be a case of my word against theres that i never recvd the letter??

Comment

If you read through some other threads on here there are plenty of posts re DVLA worth your while finding and looking at them,there are win and lose cases with the DVLA others on here will come along and offer some very good advice sometimes takes a little time.

Comment

DVLA didn't tell me either,,I found out when i applied for a new car.They said it was down to me to check my licence status,as I knew there had been queries on it.

Comment

Hi Inca

What was the outcome if you dont mind me asking??

Comment

Nothing because luckily I wasn't ever stopped by the law. I just sent off the cheque and got my licence back. However..I stopped driving because of health reasons..my choice..when DVLA contacted my Dr I knew nothing about it.
              Are DVLA saying they wrote to you revoking your licence??

Comment

Well DVLA arent saying anything to me, this is what the police told me when they pulled me over. Its the police looking to prosecute me for driving with a revoked licence even though i wasnt aware!! The contact i had since with DVLA was that they wrote to me lettign me know asking fo rme to return my licence which i never did, as i didnt get the letter....Im worried how bad the points and or fine will be....when i feel it wasnt my fault

Comment

Ok,,hands up...I got points for speeding and didn't send the paper bit off to DVLA cos I thought the pink card was the licence ..I so my licence was revoked...and they didn't write to me to tell me.
                  I honestly don't know what outcome you can expect...hopefully some other Beagles will know and can give you proper advice ,

Comment

Would expect unless you can prove you never received letter from DVLA you will receive a fine and points best to try DVLA first and hope they say a letter was not sent doubtful though sorry but I think you may well have to take the fine and the points
                    Once again this boils down to was the letter sent and was it received or not ?

Comment

You need to contact the DVLA any way to find out if you can actually drive again or if your health precludes you from holding a license.It may be that your licence will have restrictions on it. If you can't drive anymore I can't see the point of putting points on a non existent licence.

Comment

Hi ems2711,

Whenever I have signed an access to medical records form, when the request comes through to my doctor, he always contacts me to ensure that the record is accurate & that I agree for it to be sent to the person requesting the info.

This has always seemed to be a wise precaution, as not only am I then on notice that the form has been actioned, but it also covers him from a Data Protection Act pov.

As you have not yet had a court summons, organise a statutory declaration to the effect that you were completely unaware of the revoked licence as you didn't receive anything from DVLA or GP, & send a copy (recorded delivery) to the police bod who is handling the case.

When you've got a mo, have a look at http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?...t=#entry743466

It's a long thread, but these guys know their onions.

You could join there & get tailor-made advice if it would help - don't forget to let us know how you're getting on, though!

Good luck
                        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                        gets his brain a-going.
                        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Is a SD acceptable in court for traffic offences? Could someone get a SD to say something like I did not know the speed limit so I should not be fined for breaking it?seems a long shot as they have no proof they never received the letter when the DVLA wlil say they sent it

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
                            Is a SD acceptable in court for traffic offences? Could someone get a SD to say something like I did not know the speed limit so I should not be fined for breaking it?seems a long shot as they have no proof they never received the letter when the DVLA wlil say they sent it
                            http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-weve-up.html
                            CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                            Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                            gets his brain a-going.
                            Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                            The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                            Working...
                            X