• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

requistion to attend court for failing to notify dvla that i no longer had the vehicl

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• requistion to attend court for failing to notify dvla that i no longer had the vehicl

Hope someone can advise.......I had purchased an old car as I was a new driver (even though I am 41) 3 weeks later I hit a car pretty bad and my car was unfit to drive. I left the car overnight and returned the following day as my insurance company said it was ok for me to remove it, when I got there a couple of fellas said they would take it, so I let them free of charge, I had no dealings with anything like this before and didn't know I had to get them to do the v5, first thing I heard was a letter stating my tax was up for renewal on the car. By this time I had purchased a new car so I wrote a letter bk stating that basically I had given the car away and honestly didn't even know where the v5 was. I thought this would be the end but only yesterday I received a court summons for said vehicle and they are saying I didn't contact them when I deffo did. What do I do?
    vicky72
    Tags: None

Re: requistion to attend court for failing to notify dvla that i no longer had the ve

Hi vicky72, & welcome to Legal Beagles.

Firstly, ignorantia juris non excusat!

However, if you have informed DVLA in writing, that may suffice.

https://www.gov.uk/notifying-dvla-if...l-your-vehicle

Have you retained proof of postage?
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

No no proof of posting, I mean I thought I was doing myself a favour just getting rid of car now its the dvla word against mine and with no proof of posting I'm stumped x can I not just write bk to the court with my reason?
      vicky72

Comment

Re: requistion to attend court for failing to notify dvla that i no longer had the ve

Some tactics here http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...e-of-ownership
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
        gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

The question is "Did you inform DVLA at the time of letting these bods take the car that you no longer owned the car?" You have 28 days from the date of transferring ownership of a vehicle, which includes selling it, to inform DVLA of the change in ownership.

A quick translation of the Latin phrase in Charitynjw's post is "Ignorance of the law is no excuse."
          Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

If you didn't tell the DVLA until you received the tax renewal letter then you are responsible for that car up to that point. Did you get the renewal form within 28 days of giving the car away?
            You must have dealt with the V5 when you purchased the car so not realising you should have done the same on getting rid of the car isn't really a defence.
            How many months were left on the tax disc?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X