• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

DVLA Vehicle history request (outside UK)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVLA Vehicle history request (outside UK)

Hello, I live in New Jersey (USA). I purchased a 1980 Mercedes via auction from Car & Classic (UK), had it shipped from Ireland to the states and I hold legal title to the car. I filed a V888 form with all necessary documentation to DVLA requesting the history of the car (Motorcheck.Ie only goes back to 1986) but was rejected by DVLA in July because, according to staff, “the Agency cannot release vehicle data outside of the UK” and that “DVLA does not have a legal power to release information outside of the UK for the purpose set out in your request.” I have filed an electronic complaint with DVLA based on this response.

Do you know if this is accurate or whether I would have any recourse in obtaining my vehicle history through DVLA or elsewhere?

Many thanks for any direction - I feel helpless! With appreciation, Bill
    Tags: None

The DVLA only release information to third parties if they have a "reasonable cause" such as finding out who was responsible for an accident (there is a list on their website (https://www.gov.uk/request-informati...istered-keeper)

you might find this article helpful (https://www.footmanjames.co.uk/blog/...known%20events.)

good luck in your research

Comment

Could you work around this by by using the address of someone you know in UK and having them forward it to you?
      All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

The feedback is greatly appreciated

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X