• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Speeding Ticket Appeal with evidence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speeding Ticket Appeal with evidence

I recently received a speeding fine in the post however when i reviewed the evidence it clearly show less than 6 full GATSO speed markers from one picture to the next. The RAC website notes that 1 marker corresponds to 5 mph and therefore 6 would be 30 mph. Furthermore i also understand there is a tolerance of 10% + 2 = 5 mph and therefore i would expect a flash after 35 mph. The camera calculation states i was doing 37 mph but the evidence of images suggests i was 30.

Please advise whether the above interpretaion is correct.
    Tags: None

Your interpretation of the "tolerance" is incorrect. Enforcement normally begins at (Limit + 10% +2mph). So in a 30 limit, 34mph will normally not see enforcement but 35mph will.

The principle measurement of speed by a Gatso camera is by radar and the recorded speed is usually on the photographs. There is a secondary method using the two photos to measure the distance covered.and the time elapsed.

If you want to dispute the allegation you will have to decline any out-of-court offer you might receive (either a course or fixed penalty) and allow the matter to go to court where you must plead Not Guilty. The law says that unless the contrary can be proved, the equipment is deemed to be reliable. The job of proving it isn't will fall to you. Failure in court will see you pay something in the order of £1,000 in fines and costs, but somewhat more if the police have to enlist an expert to deal with your argument.
    Last edited by HandyAndy; 29th June 2024, 16:58:PM.

Comment

FYI "there is no laid down distance for road markings and they can vary by both area and site" .(cf Q8 in Freedom of Information (FOI) request )

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X