• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

DVLA Penalty of £80

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVLA Penalty of £80

Hi all,

I need some advice on whether this is worth appealing or if it's a case of "your fault, pay and be done with it".

Long story short.
    1. I bought a car to break on 23rd December, 2023. No logbook. I applied for one.
    2. I Sold the car on 20th Jan, 2024. The buyer said he would give me his information when my logbook arrived.
    3. 10th Feb, 2024. Logbook arrives. The buyer ignores my request for his info.

I get a few letters saying I need to tax the car, so I:
    1. Send a letter to DVLA on 10th March stating the above issue and that I am no longer in possession of the car.

Cut to today:
    June 2024 - DVLA have forwarded by debt to Advantis.

I've no intention of paying this, but is this ultimately my fault and that I should pay the fine?
    Tags: None

Did you take car to a scrap yard and receive a COD?

Comment

Not insisting on getting the buyer's details at point of sale was naive. How did you communicate with him to let him know that you now had the "log book"?
      Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
        It was a private buyer. He also broke it.

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
          I've bought and sold many cars in the past, so this was the first where it bit me in the arse. We communicated over Facebook, and I do have receipts of him reading the messages yet ignoring me.

I have appealed this penalty through DVLA, explaining my situation in addition to providing screenshots of the conversation.

Ultimately, I'm being chased as the car was not taxed (date of offence 1/02/24), yet DVLA are aware I am no longer the owner (01/03/24 onwards)

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X