• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Registered keeper no insurance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Registered keeper no insurance

I sold a vehicle approx 18 months when self employed. Stupidly let one of the lads deal with the exchange with the dealer (the vehicle was being part exed). He gave the exchange courier all of the V5.
    Dealer said he would deal with changing the registered keeper with DVLA (have had dealers do this before without issues)

fast forward 6 months and I received a fine letter from for being the registered keeper of an uninsured vehicle. I replied via letter stating I had sold the vehicle and the details of who I had sold it to. Sent by normal mail.

now I've received a single justice summons for still being the registered keeper of an uninsured vehicle. I can prove when I part exed the vehicle as I have the exchange invoice, I can also prove that the dealer still has the vehicle for sale. I've messaged the dealer who apologised and said he will contact DVLA and back date the change of ownership

I believe I will still have to attend the court summons, but is a no guilty plead likely to succeed? I'm probably guilty of being a bit relaxed by letting the dealer handle the change of ownership and no sending my reply to DVLA by recorded delivery, but I'm not guilty of owning the vehicle at the time it was uninsured
    Tags: None

...but I'm not guilty of owning the vehicle at the time it was uninsured
    But that's not the charge you face. The responsibility lies with the RK, no the owner.

A not guilty plea is unlikely to succeed without the co-operation of the DVLA. To buy some time you could respond to the SJPN by pleading guilty but asking for a court appearance. You can then contact the dealer and the DVLA to see if they will backdate the change of RK.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X