• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Single Court Summons for vehicle with wrong registration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single Court Summons for vehicle with wrong registration

Good Evening All.

I have been issued single justice procedure notice for an uninsured keeper of a motor vehicle.

the vehicle has always been insured however it had a change of plate mid year which wasn’t fed back to the insurer. I have proof of full cover in the original numberplate and also proof of the changeover once I have recieved the summons.

Unfortuantely my father was diagnosed with cancer and sadly passed away all over this period so it was an administration error in not changing over.

I have pleaded not guilty and explained my case online. Can anyone explain what they feel there views are on this type of case. I have explained that the car has and always has been insured and we have full proof of payment of the vehicle however it was insured in the original plate.

thank you
    Tags: None

This topic is raised quite often.

Insurers insure vehicles. The do not insure number plates.

Since you have entered a Not Guilty plea your case will be taken out of the "Single Justice" procedure and listed for a hearing in the normal Magistrates' Court. That first hearing may not be your trial but may be a "Case Management" hearing. This is a hearing held before the trial to establish (among other things) what facts are agreed and what the issues in dispute are. Before that hearing you should obtain written confirmation from your insurers that the vehicle formerly registered as AB 12 CDE and now registered as EF 99 XYZ was insured throughout and (especially) on the date in question. Take this evidence with you when you attend the hearing. With any luck the police prosecutor will see it and discontinue matters there and then. If not, a trial date will be set and you will have to attend again to formally present your evidence in your defence. If the court does make the first hearing your actual trial (which is unlikely though not unheard of) then the same process applies.

Are you being prosecuted under RTA s143 ("Using" a vehicle without insurance) or s144A ("Keeping" a vehicle without insurance)?

Comment

Where I sit there would be a good chance that the first appearance would be the trial - court backlogs mean we need to move as quickly as possible on things such as this.

Comment

Good Afternoon. Thank you for the info. I have emailed my insurer now for the exact statement as you have said above.

I am being prosecuted for Section 144A(1) of the Road Traffic Act 1988.

Comment

Thank you for your help. I recieved a call today from the procedures team and they are recommending the case be thrown out and closed. Just waiting for some formal feedback now.

Comment

Thanks. Can you please let us know how it goes so that we can advise others in future.

Comment

Good Morning All just providing an update. The courts recommended the case be thrown out as the vehicle should have insurance tested on the VIN and not just on number plate. The case was fully dropped and we received two letters. One from the court and one from the DVLA confirming there is no fine and case closed. Thank you all for your help.

Comment

Just as it should be. Well done for standing your ground and thanks for letting us know.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X