• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Invalid licence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Invalid licence

Hi I’ve found myself in a serious and stressful situation .
    earlier this week I was involved in a non fault traffic accident .

Phoned insurance company for them to deal with the third party . Whilst going through details of the policy it was picked up that we had not told them about an accident 4 yours ago involving my partner . However it did show that we had put it on when getting a quote just not in the policy . Explained it was on oversight so all good or so we thought .

Insurance company have contacted us requesting photographic proof of both mine and partners licence , aswell as proof of employment . Then driving history via an online code.

Done my partners which came back fine , however the photo part of my licence is showing as invalid and out of date by 2 and 1/2 years .

How likely is it now that our insurance will be void ?
    How do we go about recovering our car . It was towed away from the scene .

Thank you .
    Tags: None

You need to read the wording of your motor insurance policy but typically it will not cover any accident that occurs when the driver does not hold a valid driving licence. So quite likely the insurer will reject the claim and you will have to pay for it yourself. Although you describe it as non-fault the third party &/or their insurer or solicitor may take a different view, especially when they find out your insurer is refusing to cover the accident. You will have to deal with the third party and their insurer/solicitor yourself.

That isn't the same as the policy being void by the way. It's usually only this claim that isn't covered, the policy otherwise continues in force for your partner, but you need to read the exact wording.

Hopefully insurers will not take it any further but be aware that you have committed two serious offences, even though it was unintentional: driving without a valid licence and driving without insurance.

Have you now applied for a new photocard licence? If not do so immediately.

Your insurer should know where the vehicle is, ask them. As they are rejecting the claim I expect you will have to make arrangements to collect it and organise its repair. You'll probaly have to pay the storage charge yourself before whoever is storing it will release it to you.
    All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

Hi thank you for reply , I sent for my licence first thing yesterday morning .
      I will dig out my policy and see what it says .

Comment

Regardless of the position of no licence & so no insurance, if the other party was responsible for the incident, you are entitled to lodge a claim against that party.
        Doubtlessly they will refer it to their insurers and you should be fully indemnified for your losses.

How certain are you the other party was 100% liable?
        Did they admit liability at the scene or afterwards?

Comment

Thank you for your reply I am 100% certain that the other driver was at fault . He admitted not seeing me . Plus his boss (he was a taxi driver) came to the scene and said that his driver was at fault .
          I was travelling through a green light with no obstructions and clear visibility . The other driver drove straight into me whilst he was going to do a left turn This was at a 4 way traffic light system

Comment

So you need to write to the third party telling them you are holding them responsible for the incident and liable for all your damages which you will quantify in due course.
            You can advise them that they should pass your letter to their insurers

Was anybody hurt in the incident?
            Were the police involved or informed?

Comment

Forgot to ask I know my insurance will void the policy . Will they give me the details of the other party insurance . If it makes any difference it is my partners policy I am only a named driver .

Comment

I rang the police but they didn’t attended as there were no injuries . I’m sorry to bombard you with all these questions - do you know if there’s a template letter available anywhere that I could copy .

Comment

It is for the third party to supply you with their insurance details, not your insurers.

Comment

Thank you . I cannot make out his surname and his mobile was a digit short . I did get a picture of his taxi number ( if that’s what it’s called ) His employer left his details will he have to disclose the drivers information to me .
                    Sorry again to ask such stupid questions .

Comment

Originally posted by Hella View Post
                      I rang the police but they didn’t attended as there were no injuries . I’m sorry to bombard you with all these questions - do you know if there’s a template letter available anywhere that I could copy .
                      No template of which I am aware.
                      You only need a simple letter such as:

Heading: reference motor collision incident of Dd/mm/yy

Dear,,,

On day .....(date) at approximately ??am/pm your vehicle reg No. .... collided with mine at location....

At the scene you admitted to not seeing me, and your employer agreed you were at fault.

The circumstances of the incident are such that I hold you responsible for the incident and liable for all damages to my vehicle and any consequential losses, both of which I will quantify in due course.

I look forward to your confirmation within 7 days of receipt of this letter

I would advise that you pass this letter to your insurers

Yours..

send first class with free certificate of posting from post office.
                      Send to his employer (whose car was it?)
                      If it was a taxi firm you should be able to trace driver

Taxi number?? is that the cab registration number allocated by County council?
                      They will have records you can follow up

You should have exchanged names & addresses and insurance details with each other at the time.
                      Did you not take a note of his car registration number?
                      Last edited by des8; 22nd October 2023, 14:20:PM.

Comment

I did get his reg number . I also gave him my details and insurance details . He didn’t know his his employer was called who passed on his name and taxi firm address .
                        This is the first accident I have ever been involved in and I was pretty shook up , I just accepted what they told me stupidly .

Comment

I got his cab number
                          reg number
                          and a pic of him . Just not the important details .

Comment

So you should be able to trace him.
                            You know his employer(?) who might even hold insurance which covers his drivers.

To not have told you his insurance details the driver has broken the law, so the police might help you trace him (altho' as you were uninsyred and withoiut a licence I would use that approach as a last resort!)

Comment

Is the licence invalid because of the 10 year renewal. You would be surprised how many of these come up in court (incidentally to another driving offence usualy). If so have you renewed it?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X