• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Untaxed vehicle going to court

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Untaxed vehicle going to court

Hi.
    transferred V5 of a vehicle to my name.
    kept the vehicle on my driveway. (never have used it or kept it on a public road)
    get a letter from DVLA asking for £150 as an out of court settlement for not taxing or SORN'ing the vehicle.
    I write to the DVLA telling them I have never used or kept the vehicle on a public road.
    DVLA writes back still demanding £150.

I am looking to contact a solicitor over the next few days to understand where I legally stand but my research indicates:

providing I have not used or kept the vehicle on a public road the most I am liable is for £80 reduced to £40 if paid within 33 days.

Any advise is welcome as I am tempted to go to Court on this one.
    Picture of letter attached also.

https://ibb.co/3dTXRYn
    Tags: None

[QUOTE my research indicates:
    providing I have not used or kept the vehicle on a public road the most I am liable is for £80 reduced to £40 if paid within 33 days.
    ][/QUOTE]

Can you give us the source of that information please?

I have always understood there is an automatic penalty of £80 for not declaring SORN, plus a charge of 1.5 x the outstanding road fund licence fee.

You might find more help on the Pepipoo site regarding this matter

Additional checking: (https://www.achoiceinsurance.co.uk/d...-off-the-road/) Offence: Using or keeping an untaxed vehicle without a SORN

Enforcement action: Out of Court Settlement (OCS) letter issued. OCS set at £30 plus one and a half times the outstanding vehicle tax rate. If settlement is not paid, as a criminal offence the case may be pursued via the Magistrates Court. Penalty is the greater of £1,000 or five times the amount of tax chargeable. Vehicle may be clamped.

Last edited by des8; 3rd October 2023, 20:18:PM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X