• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Letter received from Police intention to prosecute - advice please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letter received from Police intention to prosecute - advice please

Hello

I hope someone can give me some advice here, as I have never been in this situation.

This relates to alleged offences under the RTA.

Yesterday I received a notification from the local police of intention to prosecute for the following offences:

1 driving without due care and attention
    2 failing to stop at a road traffic accident
    3 failing to report a road traffic accident

At this stage they have only asked me to say whether I was the driver at the time or not and provided a blank sheet of paper to give information about the incident.
    Going by the location (just round the corner from where I live) I can only imaging this relating to one recent incident, which wasn't actually an accident but more of a road rage event.

I was driving past someone unloading or working next to his lorry which had stopped in the road.
    I wasn't going fast or anything, while I went by lorry man turned around and punched and kicked my car whilst going past him.
    I stopped and got out and wanted to know what he thought he was doing punching and kicking my car.

He then hurled some verbal abuse at me, swearing and he was quite aggressive. I still didn't know what his problem was and said I would report him to his company for threatening behaviour.
    I got my phone and tried to take a photo of his lorry and number plate but at that moment he came right at me, still shouting and swearing, so I was worried he may hit me next, as he already punched my car.
    I thought if the guy hits me I will come off second best, so I decided to retreat.
    I quickly got back into my car and left.

When I checked my phone later the photo I tried to take was blurred and useless, so I thought it was pointless to report the incident to the police, as the guy would not be traceable.

Over that I forgot about it until I got the letter yesterday in the post.

This is the only thing I believe this can relate to, but I have no idea based on what the three above allegation come from

There was no road traffic accident, more of a road rage incident.

So I am at a loss what to do.
    I have 28 days to respond.

Should I just say yes I was the driver and was there and see what happens next, or should I already make a written statement on the attached piece of paper they sent me and send that with it ?

Is there anyone here who could advise ?

I tried my legal advice line through my Union, but they have sent me from pillar to post, now say it needs to go to a different department again and that would be chargeable.

So any advice would be appreciated

Many Thanks
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X