• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Friend Drove Car Without Permission

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friend Drove Car Without Permission

Hi All!
    Basically im gunna get straight to the point, I was in an empty car park late at night with a few friends. There was a shopping trolley in the middle of the car park so doing my good deed I put it back, Then for some reason one of my friends (no licence no insurance) got in my car (I left the keys in as I had music playing while we were talking) started it up and drove it about 5 meters along (He thought it was funny). I did rush back over and try to stop him but I couldn't stop a 1 ton car. I'm just wondering if I would get into trouble for this (it would be on cctv) as im currently resolving a different issue (I got a warning for something I didn't do) and might use cctv as reference
    PS Didnt realise i put in drink/drug section, by accident
    Tags: None

There is an offence of permitting someone to drive with no insurance with which you could be charged (car parks are public places). However I have seen this:
    "One of the most common defences to permitting somebody to drive with no insurance is to argue that the permission was never given, for example if somebody takes your vehicle without permission or someone else within the household has given permission without your knowledge. This would be a defence."
    The fact that you did not give permission would be your defence but it could (possibly, I have no idea on this) be argued that by leavning the keys in you made them think you were happy for them to drive.
    If you want ot post about the thing you didn't do we will also try to help!

Comment

But who is going to recognise that there was no permission from the ANPR and CCTV cameras on site? As long as there was no damage etc then you will not hear anything about it.

Comment

The thing is who is going to report or find out about it? (I don't condone it, someone could have been injured or worse, as you point out 'I couldn't stop a 1 ton car). Well done on parking 'the trolley'.

Just to add there is a 'ridiculous' number of CCTV cameras in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
          There is an offence of permitting someone to drive with no insurance with which you could be charged (car parks are public places). However I have seen this:
          "One of the most common defences to permitting somebody to drive with no insurance is to argue that the permission was never given, for example if somebody takes your vehicle without permission or someone else within the household has given permission without your knowledge. This would be a defence."
          The fact that you did not give permission would be your defence but it could (possibly, I have no idea on this) be argued that by leavning the keys in you made them think you were happy for them to drive.
          If you want ot post about the thing you didn't do we will also try to help!
          Got ya, I did think he was just sitting inside as it was around 2 degrees celsius outside and just warming up but I ran over anyways to make sure he didnt just drive off. I then got next to the car and held onto the car via the door (window was open) just incase he drove off and low and behold he dropped the clutch and off he went, he then stopped about 5 meters over but you will clearly see on cctv I didn't want him to drive and he nearly took me with him. The issue im resolving is about 15 minutes after MANY police turned up and stopped me and my friend (he was in another car next to me) they questioned us on what we were doing and I was given a section 59 warning for a year for doing 'stunts' with the shopping trolley and being anti social. We weren't loud and as for stunts I jumped and balanced on the handle of the shopping trolley and I guess you could say 'rode' the trolley when I was putting it back (which you see kids do in supermarkets all the time) no damaged to the trolley and no one else was in the car park other than us (its a massive car park) so no one heard us either. My friend in the other car got nothing and the only thing different I did was putting the trolley away we both had music on and my idiot friend decided to have a quick go of my car without my permission ;(. The only reason im not happy is that the section 59 warning is linked to me and my car and if I do anything wrong (not like im going to) my pride and joy sports car which I saved my ass off for will be seized even thought I committed no motoring offence at all

Comment

So they didn't say anything about it at the time, probably cause they knew nothing about it.

So if your "friend" does it again then you tell the police , if the come, and your friend will get done for TWOC, no insurance etc.

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post
              The thing is who is going to report or find out about it? (I don't condone it, someone could have been injured or worse, as you point out 'I couldn't stop a 1 ton car). Well done on parking 'the trolley'.

Just to add there is a 'ridiculous' number of CCTV cameras in the UK.
              Its just I'm currently resolving an issue which happened near the time of this and may have to use the CCTV footage. I don't condone it either, put it this way, there was no way I could've stopped him when he was in the car and he went off. My car is my pride and joy I wouldn't let anyone drive it, I even get a bit hesitant to let my parents drive it and they're on the insurance. I'm not sure if you're being serious on the last part but i was just trying to do a good thing which looked like it backfired

Comment

I think it wil depend on what the order is for. If it is for doing stunts in the car and you were not, then it may be worth challenging. If it was for messing with the trollies (which you were) then there seems to be little point. Perhaps just best to stay totally away from supermarket car parks etc for a bit. How long is the order for (I don't know anything about such orders but assume they have a time limit?)

Comment

Originally posted by T4YLR View Post

Its just I'm currently resolving an issue which happened near the time of this and may have to use the CCTV footage. I don't condone it either, put it this way, there was no way I could've stopped him when he was in the car and he went off. My car is my pride and joy I wouldn't let anyone drive it, I even get a bit hesitant to let my parents drive it and they're on the insurance. I'm not sure if you're being serious on the last part but i was just trying to do a good thing which looked like it backfired
                  Yes being serious I once had a job where that was something we had too do, it was enjoyable in winter when it snowed, it was uphill, 150 odd trolleys, then catching the odd one that escaped.

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
                    I think it wil depend on what the order is for. If it is for doing stunts in the car and you were not, then it may be worth challenging. If it was for messing with the trollies (which you were) then there seems to be little point. Perhaps just best to stay totally away from supermarket car parks etc for a bit. How long is the order for (I don't know anything about such orders but assume they have a time limit?)
                    the warning was put down for stunts with the trolley and im pretty sure he mentioned it was linked to my driving (I only drove in and out of the car park in a safely manor) he took my name and number plate and that's all, served me no papers or anything and he said it would last a year. I'm just a bit scared as I've always abided by the law and never had any trouble with the police. Its just the part where my friend drove my car a very short distance without my permission. They also said they were watching us on CCTV so they would've saw it all but didn't mention anything about my friend

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post

Yes being serious I once had a job where that was something we had too do, it was enjoyable in winter when it snowed, it was uphill, 150 odd trolleys, then catching the odd one that escaped.
                      ah got you, I just try do my bit here and there and being so cold in north england It may have made someones job the next day that little bit easier

Comment

Originally posted by ostell View Post
                        So they didn't say anything about it at the time, probably cause they knew nothing about it.

So if your "friend" does it again then you tell the police , if the come, and your friend will get done for TWOC, no insurance etc.
                        the police said they watched us on CCTV so they wouldve saw it but they did not mention it when talking to me, I'm just scared incase I could get something from it, I did all I could to stop him

Comment

Sec59 of The Polce Reform Act 2002 ( https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2002/30/section/59) does not mention any thing about a second offence within a year.

I suspect they saw you clinging to the outside of a moving vehicle (a stunt) and is stretching the meaning of para 4.(see the explanatory notes) altho' constables are often reported as giving a 12 month time limit.

It is possible that you would have had two defences as para 1 requires the manner of driving to be " causing, or is likely to cause, alarm, distress or annoyance to members of the public". No public were present!
                          Para 1 also requires contravention of "section 3 or 34 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 (c. 52) (careless and inconsiderate driving and prohibition of off-road driving)," You were not the driver.

Unfortunately there is no right of appeal

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
                            Sec59 of The Polce Reform Act 2002 ( https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2002/30/section/59) does not mention any thing about a second offence within a year.

I suspect they saw you clinging to the outside of a moving vehicle (a stunt) and is stretching the meaning of para 4.(see the explanatory notes) altho' constables are often reported as giving a 12 month time limit.

It is possible that you would have had two defences as para 1 requires the manner of driving to be " causing, or is likely to cause, alarm, distress or annoyance to members of the public". No public were present!
                            Para 1 also requires contravention of "section 3 or 34 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 (c. 52) (careless and inconsiderate driving and prohibition of off-road driving)," You were not the driver.

arghhhh why didn't we just go to another car park but if I can prove I did nothing illegal will i not get something of it, I guess he may of thought I drove with someone clinging to the back with a trolley but he said that he watched us on cctv which shows that absolutley nothing happened other than my friend driving my car the smallest bit further without my permission and I did a 'stunt' with a trolley which isn't illegal at all

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post

also do I need to receive a notice from the officer, he served me no papers just took my name and plate ive also not had anything in the post as of yet

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X