• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

PCNs imposed on a legally parked leaseholder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PCNs imposed on a legally parked leaseholder

Originally posted by ostell View Post
    There can be trespass even if it is not a unique space in that a notice stuck on the car is trespass.

With regard to the requirement to comply with all reasonable regulations I would contest that having to give up control of a right given in your lease to a third party is not reasonable.

Did the management company really say "Penalty Charges" and "Fines"?
    Think that could be stretching the meaning of trespass a bit too far Trespass to goods would fall under wrongful interference of goods and not trespass to land if there is no specifically allocated parking space. I don't think there is any case law on what is the criteria but I also don't think in this day and age it you could successfull claim for trespass to goods for putting a PCN on a windscreen unless it caused damage in doing so.

@johnnic

(a) + (c) correct, you cold say that any contractual arrangement between the management company and the parking company does not override your right to park in said parking space. The right to park is an exlcusive one so I would say that is licence and not an easement, but in any event I preseume the lease will say no variation wihtout consent of the landlord - if that's the case just refer to that point also as they are effectively varying the licence under the lease which no authority to do so.

(b) Genuine pre-estimate is out of the window now with Parking v Beavis 2015 (Supreme Court decision) and the question now is whether it is unconscionable and/or extravagent (one and the same to me, apparently not to the SC). The SC said just because its not a genuine pre-estimate does not make it penal, have to look at the surrounding circumstances e.g. commercial reasons for doing so. Either way I actually don't think Beavis has any influence in this case or could be relied upon because the facts are different here. Beavis related to public parking whereas this is residential parking and the two are not mutually exlcusive.

Certainly raise your points on (a) and (c) but (b) is a non-starter I think and doesn't apply and on top of that seek confirmation that they have authority to enter into the contract by the landlord.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post
      Certainly raise your points on (a) and (c) but (b) is a non-starter I think and doesn't apply and on top of that seek confirmation that they have authority to enter into the contract by the landlord.
      I take your point. So, is it the case that there is nothing that would allow us to argue that the imposition of a charge (however defined) is 'unconscionable and/or extravagent'?

Also, I'm slightly confused with your second point about seeking confirmation that they have authority to enter into the contract by the landlord. The property manager works for the landlord and landholder (one and the same as I understand it) and inferentially they have authority from the landlord. Am I missing something here?

Comment

The point about authority is that just because you are employed to act on behalf of the landlord does not mean you have authority to act as the landlord. Simple example will be if you are an employee of a business, you act on behalf of the business but has the business given you authority to enter into contracts on its behalf?

Same applies here with the property management company, they may have been instructed to maintain the property but the question is whether that extends to entering into legally binding contracts. They are an agent of the landlord, they dont own the land so they may have acted beyond their powers if no authority has been given to them to do so. On the other hand, they may have authority to enter into contracts on behalf of the landlord, thats what you need to find out.

Regardless of the above point, the contractual agreement does not override your legal position in the lease.
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X