• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Second hand car under warranty failed MOT but.....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second hand car under warranty failed MOT but.....

I did not take it to the dealership where I bought the car. It failed on the front light not adjusting and it means a complete new front light. The problem is the car is under warranty but it is not at the dealership where I bought it but under the service that was done in February this year, that component was apparently checked. I've done under 2000 miles in the car so my question is whether I can claim back the cost of replacing the light from the original dealership?

I suspect that the answer is no but I thought I'd ask the question on here.
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)
    Tags: None

Re: Second hand car under warranty failed MOT but.....

Ok, so as I got nada replies here, I thought I'd update this thread. I have made a complaint to the dealership about the issue of the light and refunding the replacement which I await an answer from. There was also a minor issue with the local garage I used in relation to charging me for something that they had said would be free so that complaint is with their CEO and will dealt with tomorrow. I will update this thread when I have further news as no further advice is technically required as I am sorting it off my own back

Comment

EU legislation requires that all car manufacturers offer a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty from the date of it being registered. Therefore, if the car is within the the 2 year manufacturer period then the answer will be no you do not have to take it to the dealer that you bought it from. If you take it to a different garage then that garage must adhere to the manufacturers servicing schedule that usually includes genuine parts.

Now as this is a second hand car, with a warranty or extended warranty then the rules are different and depending on paperwork, may tie you in to that specific dealership so that would be the first thing to check. If it is silent on the matter then I would see no harm in trying to recover the money that you paid out to the garage as the car is still under warranty.
      If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

its over 2 years old to need an MOT so doesn't apply

Now as this is a second hand car, with a warranty or extended warranty then the rules are different and depending on paperwork, may tie you in to that specific dealership so that would be the first thing to check. If it is silent on the matter then I would see no harm in trying to recover the money that you paid out to the garage as the car is still under warranty.[/QUOTE]

Comment

Car is over 2 years old and so far have recovered refund from garage over work done that was supposed free but charged plus inconvenience.

The issue of the light having to be replaced will fall outside the warranty but I have to ask the question based on the fact that it was supposedly checked prior to it being taken off the forecourt.
          I'm asking the question of the dealership and if they say no then they say no but I am just a bit annoyed by it all.

Comment

that is not correct, you do not get an unlimited mileage warranty on all parts, and you dont get a 2 year warranty either, most new vehicle have between 3 and 7 years warranty but only for certain items, Brakes, Battery , clutch, shockers, bearing ball joints and alot more items are only covered with a 12 months warranty,

Comment

Originally posted by countrymanuk View Post
              that is not correct, you do not get an unlimited mileage warranty on all parts, and you dont get a 2 year warranty either, most new vehicle have between 3 and 7 years warranty but only for certain items, Brakes, Battery , clutch, shockers, bearing ball joints and alot more items are only covered with a 12 months warranty,
              Any warranty beyond 2 years is at the discretion of the manufacturer. There is EU legislation which has been around for some years now in which manufacturers are required to give at least a 2 year unlimited mileage (regardless of change of ownership) on all new cars from date of registration. Yes you are right that not all parts are covered by the warranty for two years. Things that have a short life span are not covered under the warranty - so a light (bulb?) is probably a short life span component. It clearly doesn't apply but thought i'd share it as some background information

Anyway, it seems like you've got the result you wanted leclerc
              If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
              - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
              LEGAL DISCLAIMER
              Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Rob, the warranty was for 1 year and is still in operation on a 2nd hand or used car. I have spoken to the dealership and because I got the fault fixed at an independent garage to the dealership then the warranty is not valid anymore and so therefore they are within their rights to simply not refund work carried out. I have accepted that, on this occasion, I made a huge mistake which has cost me money which is extremely annoying but unfortunately is a mistake I made.
                I am happy to say that the original garage is refunding the money for work that they carried out and charged me for that was previously given as free plus additional for invconvenience.
                The matter is over and done with and I have learnt some valuable lessons for my sins!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X