• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Congestion Charge sent to old address

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congestion Charge sent to old address

Hello,

Apologies for the long post, but wanted to get everything down.
    Just before my car tax was due to expire at the end of September, I realised that I did not have the renewall letter as I had regsitered the car to my old address and forgotten to move it over to my new one. I went round to the previous address to collect any mail they might have, and found that there were two congestion charge notices from 17th and 18th June. I called the TFL call centre and was advised to file a Statatory Declaration (PE3) and Statatory Declaration out of time (PE2) form for each of the fines. I submitted both of these forms, detailing that I had not changed the vehicle registration over to the new address and therefore had not received any of the previous letters sent. After those forms were submitted, I regsitered for a new vehicle owner certificate for the new address (as I could not find the old one) and taxed the car at the post office.

I have received 2 rejection letters from the TEC. They both state that the registered keeper has a statatory obligation to inform the DVLA of any change in the condition of a vehicle in their keep, e.g. moving address, and failure to do so may be an offence. It also states that TFL checked with the DVLA who still have respondents previous address registered with them. This is because they checked before it was moved to the new address. Then it has a load of information about sending the letters first class, with return envelopes etc. etc.

The original fines were £65 each. I'm now being told I must pay £195 (amount of charge) + £7 (court resgistration fee), so £202 for each of the fines. As you can imagine I am totally devestated.

The letter states that my only other option is to appeal, which will cost an additional £50 for a review by a district judge without a hearing, or £155 with a hearing. Obviously I would need to pay double as those costs are for each ticket.

Does anyone have any advice / suggestions? Am I just going to have to suck it up and pay the £404?

Thanks all, much appreciated!!!
    Tags: congestion, pcn, tfl

Re: Congestion Charge sent to old address

IMHO You might have a slight chance of an appeal but they are correct in that they sent the Paperwork to the correct address ,
    Try and appeal without any cost if that's possible otherwise its pay time from what I have read TFL do not mess about when they chase the money.

Comment

Re: Congestion Charge sent to old address

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
      IMHO You might have a slight chance of an appeal but they are correct in that they sent the Paperwork to the correct address ,
      Try and appeal without any cost if that's possible otherwise its pay time from what I have read TFL do not mess about when they chase the money.
      As the farmer found a few years ago when TFL tried to collect unpaid congestion charge for his combine harvester that had been nowhere near London, TFL admitted their cameras might misread a numberplate obscured by mud but also there is a chance a vehicle has been cloned.

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/new...farmer-3163249

It might be better to pay up on this one

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X