• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Urgent help please re pcn

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent help please re pcn

Friend received a PCN last year for allegedly wandering into a bus lane. He lodged an appeal, but in order to avoid the hassle he paid the PCN by cheque prior to the appeal being heard. The council returned the cheque saying that payment by cheque was not an acceptable method of payment, and that payment must be made via the Post Office.
    Friend then paid said amount, together with another PCN at Post Office.
    Despite this the council claim that the bus lane PCN remains unpaid. This PCN is in genuine dispute and correspondence has been to-ing and fro-ing for nearly 18 months. The council has now sent an order for recovery of unpaid pcn that has been made against him at the traffic enforcement centre at Northampton Court
    He has been informed that in his defence he can make a statutory declaration on 3 grounds only, none of which are relevant to the circumstances of this case.
    HELP PLEASE, DONT KNOW HOW TO ADVISE
    Tags: None

Re: Urgent help please re pcn

Do we ssume there is no evidence of payment?

Why the limitation to three grounds only and what are they?

Has your friend approached his councillor, MP and CEO of the council to try to resolve this? If not, I suggest they do asap.

I know little about court I'm afraid, but do know someone who can help with a Statutory Declaration after the weekend. Feel free to pm me with a link here and I'll email them on Monday for you.

Comment

Thanks, I will do a chronology of events for this disputed PCN and will post later today. He has also been given the option of doing a witness statement instead of a statutory declaration, which I think may be better as the facts surrounding this PCN have become rather confusing.

Comment

Re Disputed PCN
        There were 3 PCNs within a couple of weeks. These appear to have led to confusion on the council’s part. I will refer to them as PCNs A,B & C
        1. 19.06.2013 – received PCN A for alleged bus lane contravention.
        2. Made representations to council, which council rejected
        3. Appeal application made to Traffic Penalty Tribunal. Advised TPT that Saturday was the only day he could attend a hearing and as such requested a Saturday hearing.
        4. Advised that Saturday hearings not available, so rather than lose a days pay he decided to pay PCN and avoid hassle. A cheque for £90 in payment of PCN A(£60) and PCN B (£30) sent to Council Parking Services.
        5. Council refused to accept cheque and returned cheque saying that payment had to be made through Post Office
        6. Payment for PCNs A & B of £90 made at Post Office on 12th November 2013
        7. Council incorrectly allocated the £60 payment for PCN A against PCN C
        8. 17th December 2013 Council issued a Charge Certificate in respect of PCN A
        9. 31st December Driver wrote to Council advising that cheque in payment of PCNs A & B was cleared through Bank on 14th November, and request that the Charge certificate be cancelled accordingly.
        10. Letter from Council dated 13th March confirming that the matter of outstanding PCNs has now been closed.
        11. 1st April 2014 Council wrote “unfortunately your correspondence of 31st December 2013 was not scanned against this penalty charge notice and a response was not sent…….. Council went on to say that as he hadn’t received a response it had taken the current correspondence as a late representation and reduced the charge to the standard amount of £60 which needed paying and he was to ignore the charge certificate and any later documents he may have received from us about this PCN
        12. Since then numerous letters sent to council reiterating that this PCN is in dispute as payment was made in November last year, but all to no avail
        13. 16th October `Council issued an Order for recovery of unpaid PCN through Traffic Enforcement Centre, Northampton County Court.
        14. The order for recovery says that the only grounds on which he can make a statutory declaration are-
        a. You did not receive a notice to owner
        b. You made representations to the LA within 28 days and did not receive a rejection notice
        c. You appealed to the Parking Adjudicator, but have had no response to your appeal

None of the above grounds are applicable, he didnt receive a current enforcement notice, the council told him (in writing) to ignore the charge certificate and he is adamant that he PCN in question has been paid by cheque number xxxxxxx

HELP

Comment

I've suggested Cynthesis take this over to Pepipoo to get it resolved. They have an expertise with motoring issues we simply don't have on LB. :beagle:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X