• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

NIP for speeding

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NIP for speeding

Hi, I need a help.

I recently received a NIP from Warwickshire Police for speeding in 30mph. The letter says I was on 38mph and it is asking to fill the driver's information. I clearly remember the incident day and my speed. I was cought by manned camera van, parked on side of the road but I am 100% confident that I was below 30mph but some reason the letter from police says the speed of the car was 38mph. I recently did my IAM course and I am pretty sure that I was within the speed limit.

The letter from police is not giving me any option for any query but to fill the form and return to police within 28days (14days has already been gone.)

Now how do I challenge this? How can I ask for the photographic evidence or How the speed of the vehicle is calculated?

Is there any possibility that police might have made a mistake in their calculation? The Incident was early staturday morning at 7am and I believe, probably I was the first one to drive on that road.

Please help.

Many thanks
    Tags: None

Re: NIP for speeding

Its up to the Court to find you guilty or innocent if you feel you were not speeding you have the right to defend in court.

Comment

Might be worth asking on pepipoo, depending on what device was used in the Talivan

Comment

You are not entitled to evidence yet. You could write and ask for photos to assist with identification of the driver. They may or may not send them. The 3 points offer is to avoid court and the associated costs. You should get a speed awareness bribe.

You must comply with the s172 within 28 days. Failure could lead to 6 points and a hefty fine.

Chances are that the speed is correct. If you think otherwise you could opt for court and try to persuade the court the trained officer with the calibrated equipment was wrong. Failure would be costly.

M1

Comment

Thank you mystery1.

Could you also please guide me on rules for road sign for speed limits. I went back to the place of incident and can confirm that there is no speed limit sign at lot. I understand that council must put repeater signs for every 10 to 30 seconds drive distance and there must be a speed limit sign at the start of new road.

If there is no speed limit sign then how police decide that it is 30 mile zone? How do I find out what is speed limit of that road?

How can I challenge police NIP that there is no speed limit sign therefore speeding offence cannot be persued.

Many thanks

Comment

http://www.abd.org.uk/speed_limit_signs.htm

Sounds like a restricted road with applicable street lights which is 30 mph unless signed otherwise.

M1

Comment

You might only be able to contest this in court the highway code has more about speed limits and what determines its 30 mph

Comment

As Wales has said, if there are no speed signs and street lights it is a 30 mph zone.

Repeater signs are only required where the speed limit is anything other than 30 mph, with the exception of the National speed limit on dual carriageways and motorways.

Could you post the location so we can "drive" it on google
                Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

I cant take credit for hat Tools it was M1 I suggested reading the Highway code says the same as M1

Comment

The location of speeding was B4113 Longford Road, Exhall, Coventry. The Camera Van was standing just under the M6 bridge.

I just read the case against the Northamptonshire and it does explain why Mobile Cameras should be scrapped. http://www.abd.org.uk/downloads/mobi...as_luxford.pdf

I believe it is the case with me.

Comment

Good luck in Court The magistrate will find you guilty or not Guilty The Pdf you added was from 5 years ago and the cameras are still working and drivers still be caught

Comment

Originally posted by ukboy13 View Post
                        Hi, I need a help.

I recently received a NIP from Warwickshire Police for speeding in 30mph. The letter says I was on 38mph and it is asking to fill the driver's information. I clearly remember the incident day and my speed. I was cought by manned camera van, parked on side of the road but I am 100% confident that I was below 30mph but some reason the letter from police says the speed of the car was 38mph. I recently did my IAM course and I am pretty sure that I was within the speed limit.

The letter from police is not giving me any option for any query but to fill the form and return to police within 28days (14days has already been gone.)

Now how do I challenge this? How can I ask for the photographic evidence or How the speed of the vehicle is calculated?

Is there any possibility that police might have made a mistake in their calculation? The Incident was early staturday morning at 7am and I believe, probably I was the first one to drive on that road.

Please help.

Many thanks

Are you 100% confident or pretty sure? There's a big difference!

I've just 'driven' the route on Google street view and while agree there do not appear to be any 30mph signs, it is obvious to me that it would be a 30mph limit. I assume you were heading towards the roundabout just beyond the bridge as doing 38mph the other way would be rather tricky.

As a member of the IAM you really should be aware of this more than anything. If the pictures on street view were on a hazard awareness test for driving theory almost everything would be clicked - there's loads. TBH I'm surprised you're even thinking it could be anything other than 30mph.

I'd pay the fine/bribe, take the points on the chin and be more careful in future. :tinysmile_twink_t2:

Comment

Clearly a 30 mph road, street lights, no speed signs to the contrary, plenty of side roads (Black Horse Rd etc) that are unsigned, if it were a 40/50/60 mph road then Black Horse Rd would display a 30mph sign as you turned into it.

I'm afraid I would have to agree, unless you were 100% sure you were doing 30 or below I would take it as lesson learned and accept the points/fine. Would the points have a devastating effect your licence/job?
                          Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X