• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Bus Lane PCNs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bus Lane PCNs

Whilst researching about my wife's Bus Lane PCN which I am appealing on the grounds of non-compliant signs, I came across this ::

“The Bus Lane Enforcement CameraHandbook (Second Edition) Provisional” Publication No. 41/06 published by theHome Office states:
    Chapter 5 Operational Requirements ----- 5.1.2
    “Every image of the offence shallshow, in addition to the offending vehicle, in the order given: the date indays, month, and year, the time in hours, minutes, and seconds, the day of theweek, location and frame count from the beginning of the recording. The datashall be imprinted on the image or included in the violation record at the timethe offence is recorded.”

Now, on the PCN my wife received there was not a "Day of the Week" on the photos nor was it contained anywhere within the PCN.
    However, the above statement says "or included in the violation record at the time the offence is recorded.” is this "violation record" something different to the PCN ?
    Because if the PCN is the "violation record" then that would make the PCN non-compliant and I suspect that would also be the case with many other people's PCNs.

Tags: None

Re: Bus Lane PCNs

If a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) is to be compliant, it must state the contravention to which the PCN relates, e.g. driving in a bus lane. If it doesn't, the PCN can and should be challenged on the grounds of its compliance with applicable legislation.
    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

It states the contravention, it is just that The Bus Lane Enforcement Camera HandBook is a Home Office Guide for the Camera Manufacturers and I believe that if the camera does not provide the information as requested by the Home Office (In this case the day of the week) then surely the camera is non-compliant ?

Comment

Two more things you should consider -

1. Does the camera meet Home Office approval? and
        2. Does the camera have a current and valid calibration certificate?

Ask the local authority for the -

a. Make;
        b. Model;
        c. Model Number;
        d. Type Approval (e.g. CE, TUV);
        e. Home Office Approval Reference; and
        f. Current calibration certificate.

See what sort of reaction you get from the local authority. Should be interesting.

Comment

Luton have 6 Camera Approval Certificates listed on TPT's register of TRO's

http://tro.parking-adjudication.gov.uk/default.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by michael View Post
            Luton have 6 Camera Approval Certificates listed on TPT's register of TRO's

http://tro.parking-adjudication.gov.uk/default.aspx
            That may be so, but does the camera on the bus lane in question meet H.O. approval and does it have a current and valid calibration certificate. If Luton Borough Council cannot produce this evidence, they are going to have problems convincing a Traffic Adjudicator that the cameras on the bus lane are in working order and properly calibrated. Traffic enforcement cameras are quite sensitive instruments and prone to error and malfunction. Also, have you been able to contact the DfT about the absence of a NO LEFT TURN sign at the junction and, if so, what has their response been?

Comment

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
              Traffic enforcement cameras are quite sensitive instruments and prone to error and malfunction when an irate motorist has whacked them with a sledge hammer.
              I've fixed your post for you. :grin:

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                I've fixed your post for you. :grin:
                ...or set them alight. I have seen a number of enforcement cameras that were once Bright Yellow and are now a fetching shade of Burnt Yellow or Charred Black. :grin:

Comment

Originally posted by rds60h View Post
                  Whilst researching about my wife's Bus Lane PCN which I am appealing on the grounds of non-compliant signs, I came across this ::

“The Bus Lane Enforcement CameraHandbook (Second Edition) Provisional” Publication No. 41/06 published by theHome Office states:
                  Chapter 5 Operational Requirements ----- 5.1.2
                  “Every image of the offence shallshow, in addition to the offending vehicle, in the order given: the date indays, month, and year, the time in hours, minutes, and seconds, the day of theweek, location and frame count from the beginning of the recording. The datashall be imprinted on the image or included in the violation record at the timethe offence is recorded.”

Now, on the PCN my wife received there was not a "Day of the Week" on the photos nor was it contained anywhere within the PCN.
                  However, the above statement says "or included in the violation record at the time the offence is recorded.” is this "violation record" something different to the PCN ?
                  Because if the PCN is the "violation record" then that would make the PCN non-compliant and I suspect that would also be the case with many other people's PCNs.

I have had my wife's Bus Lane PCN quashed; however regarding the Bus Lane Enforcement Camera Handbook statement above, Luton Borough Council have informed me that the "Day of the Week" is not required on a PCN and have given me the list of requirements which I will post once I have access to a printer/scanner again.
                  So just to let anyone considering this as part of their appeal, please be advised that unfortunately it does not hold water.

Comment

Originally posted by rds60h View Post
                    I have had my wife's Bus Lane PCN quashed; however regarding the Bus Lane Enforcement Camera Handbook statement above, Luton Borough Council have informed me that the "Day of the Week" is not required on a PCN and have given me the list of requirements which I will post once I have access to a printer/scanner again.
                    So just to let anyone considering this as part of their appeal, please be advised that unfortunately it does not hold water.
                    The Home Office's Handbook is more authoritative that Luton Borough Council's opinion. I would be inclined to let the Home Office know that LBC think they know better than them.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X