• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Parking Eye parking charge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parking Eye parking charge

My wife parked her car at a retail park in Glasgow for over the alloted time. Its a free car park which I presume has notices up telling you how long it is free for. Anyway she received a letter with a picture of her car entering & leaving the car park which also stated what time they were taken at. The letter said that she had to pay a Penalty Notice of £55 within 14 days otherwise it would then be £85. Well we ignored the letter & now we have received the Final Notice of the increased amount to be paid within 7 days or further action may be taken. I've read about these companies & in particular this one & that if you don't pay they will threaten you with county court action. Well I live in Scotland so what im led to believe is that they won't have a leg to stand on as its an English company working under English law & obviously this is Scotland. Also good luck in finding a County Court up here, I've a better chance of winning the lottery! Any advice would be welcome.
    Cheers, Lee.
    Tags: None

Re: Parking Eye parking charge

They can't take the registered keeper to court.(in the same way you can't murder somebody i.e. you can but it's not a good idea !) Any contract would be with the driver and as they don't know who it is and there is no law that compels the registered keeper to name the driver nor one which makes the RK liable.

M1

Comment

I had one of these for parking in a Lidl store, basically I was told they are not really enforceable but that it would be an idea to send them a letter and was informed what to put in it. This is the letter I sent with details changed.

DATE :: Mr WhoeverYouAre
      Your Address
      In Full
      With PostCode
      Dear Scammers,
      In regards to the invoice received with Parking Charge Notice No.***********, Incident Date??/??/??, the keeper denies all liability to your company, if you reject this challenge the keeper requires within 35 days a POPLA verification code for them to appeal independently, per Version 2 of the BPA Code of Practice.

The keeper has nothing further to add, and will not respond to any correspondence from your company unless itcontains the POPLA code. If you wish to find out why the keeper rejects all liability, pay the £27 plus vat to POPLA to find out.

The challenge will be deemed accepted if there is no POPLA code on any rejection that you supply within the time frame stipulated above.

Yours Faithfully,
      Mr WhoeverYouAre

This was back in June of this year and I have heard nothing back since.

Comment

Short, sweet and straight to the point.

It is a good letter that puts the likes of PE on the spot. Also, photos of a car entering and leaving a car park do not, in themselves, amount to evidence that the car has, in fact, parked in the car park. The only credible evidence I would accept is that of photographs of the car actually parked in the car park. I doubt a court would accept the vague and inconclusive evidence PPCs produce either.
        Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

The other thing is that these "parking ticket" companies do not want to pay the £27 up front to take the chance that they may get slightly more back.

Comment

Originally posted by biglee78 View Post
            My wife parked her car at a retail park in Glasgow for over the alloted time. Its a free car park which I presume has notices up telling you how long it is free for. Anyway she received a letter with a picture of her car entering & leaving the car park which also stated what time they were taken at. The letter said that she had to pay a Penalty Notice of £55 within 14 days otherwise it would then be £85. Well we ignored the letter & now we have received the Final Notice of the increased amount to be paid within 7 days or further action may be taken.
            You should ask yon tatty-heids why they sent your good wife a letter and also how in their maws' baw bags they obtained her details, as the wrongly-named Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 (link) is a Sassenach Law and has never applied in Scotland.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X