• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Driving Without Due Care and Attention

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving Without Due Care and Attention

Hi, I'm looking for some advice. I am due an NIP for driving without due care and attention. I basically hit a charging station pillar in a garden centre car park. I had two arguing teenagers in the back and had a momentary lapse of concentration. I'd say I was driving no more than 10MPH. I called my insurance company straight away. The garden centre manager came out and took pictures and contacted the car charging company. The pillar was slightly bent and the PDQ machine was broken. He said I didn't need to do anything else. This happened on the 28th June and I've only just been notified yesterday as it's a company car. Any advice would be great, I don't have never had any points. I'm assuming the garden centre reported me as no police were present. It was a public carpark and busy. There was not damage to any other vehicle or injury to anyone.
    Tags: None

If you do get a NIP you must respond o the accompanying "Request for Driver's Details". Failure to do so will see you commit a separate offence which carries six points.

After that you will have to wait to see what action (if any) the police intend to take. They may offer you a course, a fixed penalty or prosecute you in court. My guess is if they take any action they will offer you a course. You would do well to accept any out of court offer they may make. The definition of careless driving is that which falls below the level of that expected of a competent and careful driver. Of course, competent and careful drivers do not collide with charging stations.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Totally agree it was my fault, the only thing is I may lose my company car with a CD endorsement. Even though I haven't any other points or endorsements. Can I explain that on the NIP? I'm happy to do a course and pay etc?

Comment

"Can I explain that on the NIP? I'm happy to do a course and pay etc?"
        You can. However, I don't think it is likely to influence the police in their decision. Unfortunately the criteria the police use when deciding whether to offer a course or fixed penalty for careless driving are not so well published as they are for speeding (where simply the level of speed is the deciding factor). I have heard it said that some forces will offer a course provided there is no other offence committed at the time (for example, driving without a licence or insurance) and there was no collision. Whether that means with another vehicle or, as in your case, something static, I'm afraid I don't know.

I think all you can do is mention it and see what they offer.

Comment

Thanks again, I still haven't received the NIP even though I've given my lease car company my details and said it was me driving. Should I be concerned and maybe chase the police ?

Comment

Give it another week then make enquiries. It usually takes he police a week or so to turn the initial response round. You will get your own NIP and request for driver's details which you must respond to..

Comment

I've just had the application through for driver details. Filled it in and posted straight away. Also called them to say I'm on holiday in 2 weeks for a few weeks. I didn't bother writing anything as you said the police won't be influenced.

Comment

I've still not had anything back after filling in the nominated driver form. Nearly 3 weeks ago. Should I chase? I have kept a record of the posted form and pictures as proof I sent them.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X