• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Need help as taken to court but had speed awareness course that I could not attend

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help as taken to court but had speed awareness course that I could not attend

I had a speed awareness course booked and at exactly 18.15 was suppose to take the course that afternoon I was arrested by west Mercia police and taken into custody due to me talking to someone they were after . At exactly 19.20pm they released me and due all the time in custody I’d asked for them to inform course I was in custody yet they didn’t . I received a summons and wrote mitigation to magistrate that I couldn’t take course as in police custody I was not bailed and released without charge and No further action yet the court still have fined me £100 , £90 court costs and £15 victim surcharge (who’s the victim!?) so im
    registered disabled and now have a bill of £205 and 3 penalty points and I’d asked if I could do course as previously arranged and paid £96 for so where or what do I do now . Surely this is a good enough reason and I couldn’t contact anyone for over a month as police kept my phone so had no information or tel numbers. I now have until the 25th July 24 to pay above so can anyone please help as this is not right and not my fault . Thankyou
    Tags: None

Your only alternative is to contact the court and ask them to reopen your case under Section 142 of the Magistrates' Court Act.

If they agree to this you can then ask the court if they would consider sentencing you at the Fixed Penalty level (£100 and 3 points). The court has no powers to order a course.

In any case, if you are unable to pay the fine and costs by the date ordered you should contact the court's fines office or enforcement action may see bailiffs at your door.

...and £15 victim surcharge (who’s the victim!?) so im
    The proper title for the "Victim Surcharge" is simply "Surcharge". It is applied to all defendants sentenced in court and the money raised is used to fund victim services. You should have been ordered to pay 40% of the fine (£40) so the order made is incorrect.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X