• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

SJPN

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SJPN

Hi, I received a NIP in October 2023 for speeding, 35 in a 30 zone. I opted to pay the fine and take the 3 points. In my total embarrassment, I quickly paid online wrongly thinking that was all I needed to do. In what was an honest oversight on my part, I did not complete and return the paper form providing my licence details. I have now been issued a SJPN , I've never had any driving offences in over 30 years of driving and I am completely mortified. Can someone let me know what happens next please, I understand that I do not have to attend court but that I can say something in mitigation. Other than telling them that I'm an idiot, should I just apologise and admit my mistake in failing to provide my licence details, would that be worth it?
    Thank you for your help.
    Tags: None

islandgirl is knowledgeable about this.
    All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

You stand to be sentenced under the normal guidelines, which will be half a week's net income (reduced by a third for a guilty plea), a surcharge of 40% of the fine and prosecution costs of about £90. Three points will be imposed whatever else the outcome. However, you could respectfully ask the court to sentence you at the fixed penalty level. Magistrates have this guidance:

"Where a penalty notice could not be offered or taken up for reasons unconnected with the offence itself, such as administrative difficulties outside the control of the offender, the starting point should be a fine equivalent to the amount of the penalty and no order of costs should be imposed. The offender should not be disadvantaged by the unavailability of the penalty notice in these circumstances."

Of course the reason you now face court is entirely your fault. But a kindly Single Justice may take pity on you and perhaps impose a fine and surcharge but not the costs. Don't ask, won't get!

Comment

I have been away but could not improve on the advice above. My only advice is to make the information short and sweet - we do hundreds at a time under the single justice system and it is a rather soul destroying aspect of the job. You need to get the attention of the poor magistrate and legal advisor wading through so many cases in a dull room on a Monday morning...

Comment

Thank you for your replies, it's very much appreciated.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X