• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Insurance policy cancelled

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurance policy cancelled

Hi all

I hope this is the right place. My son had a black box policy and the box was unplugged whilst in the garage and the policy was cancelled. We took out a new policy elsewhere and declared the cancelled policy and paid through the nose. The policy is due for renewal again and the original company have provided a competitive quote £4000 and advised that the reasons for the cancellation aren’t due to fraud or non payment so does not to be declared. I cannot get an answer out of anyone as to if there is a cancelled policy against his name. Emailed MIB and they say they don’t have the information. Unsure if this means they don’t hold it or if they don’t have anything listed against my son. The policy will be a few thousand pounds less if he doesn’t haven’t to declare a cancellation but I’m not sure if this might turn up in the future in the event of a claim. Does anyone know if this information is held anywhere or where I can check if he needs to declare it on a new policy.

Thank you

Why was the policy with the original insurer not reinstated if the unplugging was the result of electrical work? It cannot be the first time that has happened.

Comment

As far as any declaration goes, if the question asks "Have you ever had a policy cancelled?" and he has, he must answer "yes". It doesn't matter whether or where that information is held.

But as Islandgirl suggests, it may be worth getting the issue of cancellation addressed. They surely cannot cancel any policy where the car has its battery disconnected. That would be absurd.

Comment

I also think there was something wrong about the original cancellation. I don't know anything about the black box conditions insurers write into their policies but it cannot be right that a disconnection voids the policy in all circumstances. Otherwise every time, for example, a car needed a new battery the policy would be cancelled. I'm confident the Ombudsman would not consider that a reasonable policy condition.
        All opinions expressed are based on my personal experience. I am not a lawyer and do not hold any legal qualifications.

Comment

The car was in the garage for a few weeks, we were on holiday and by the time we came home they had cancelled the policy and wouldn’t reinstate it so we declared it with a new insurer and paid through the nose, just strikes me as odd now that they’re happy to cover him again and say he doesn’t need to declare it anymore so I want to check if this is true

Comment

Was the car in a repair garage or a private domestic garage?
            Was the insured aware the telemactics would be unplugged?
            If so were the insurers advised in advance?

I suspect the insurers were not informed of the circumstances.
            Those policies tend to have a condition imposed that requires the box to remain plugged in at all times.
            Generally they allow 24 hours disconnect without taking action, but if it remains unplugged for longer they will write warning of policy cancellation and quickly remove cover if they receive no response.

As HandyAndy ,I agree, depending on how the question is posed, your son ought to declare the cancellation of that policy, but add a brief note explaining the circumstances.

Comment

The car was only meant to go in for an MOT but it failed and was a few weeks waiting on parts. It was a black box that you fit yourself so just went into the cigarette lighter. Want hardwired in like some are these days. I just wondered if anyone would know who holds the details of a cancelled policy. The insurance company has quoted 4k and advised we don’t need to declare it anymore but I’m wondering now if we ever needed to declare it and they just wanted the sale. All details online say MID hold the details but they say they don’t have this information. Can’t get hold of anyone on the phone and when you tell insurers he’s had a cancelled policy most of them won’t offer cover they don’t care about the reasons why.

Comment

Details may not be held by anyone MIB included .But you can bet that if he has an accident after as advised he doesnt declare it the company he is insured with will know it was not declared and refuse to pay out

Comment

Absolutely. And as someone insuring 2 relatively newly passed young drivers 4k sounds horrendously expensive!

Comment

islandgirl absolutely he paid £4000 this year on a 15 yr old ka whilst declaring it and it’s the same price on a 19 plate fiesta (declared the cancelled policy) just something makes me uncomfortable about this policy and the way they have advised it doesn’t need to be declared next time around when all insurance policies ask if you have ever had a policy cancelled with no time limit attached to the question. Makes me think they cancelled his policy internally but it’s not recorded anywhere but not worth the risk unfortunately

Comment

I would be seeking a WRITTEN assurance from the company involved that they have not recorded the cancellation on any data base, nor have they informed any third party.
                      Alternatively if they have advised any third party, I would require an assurance that they have advised that third party to remove the record as it was incorrect.

If the company decline to give such an assurance I would be making a complaint to the insurance ombudsman

There is obviously a problem, not of your son's making but which will affect him for years to come, unless it is sorted.

There may still be a residual problem in that those companies from whom he has sought a quote, will still have on their records details of the "cancellation"

Comment

try getting a "quote" online from another company and see what the level should be - I pay around £1500 for my kid's policy. Then you can ask the direct question about why it is so much. I agree with the info above too.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X