• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Motorist uses AI tool ChatGPT to reduce airport parking fine from £100 to £15

Collapse
This thread is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorist uses AI tool ChatGPT to reduce airport parking fine from £100 to £15

In my RAC newsletter today:

Maybe that is what we should suggest to posters with parking ticket cases!
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf
    Tags: None

Originally posted by atticus View Post
    In my RAC newsletter today:

Maybe that is what we should suggest to posters with parking ticket cases!
    Hi atticus

Do you happen to know whether this is for a penalty charge, or is it a (private) parking charge?
    The RAC ought to know the difference, but the term 'fine' is often erroneously used by reporters for both types.
    NCP do both.
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

It's described as a PCN Drop off and pick up passengers at Gatwick | Gatwick Airport

Comment

Originally posted by EXC View Post
        Hi EXC

The reason for my query is that the acronym 'PCN' is used for both penalty charge notices (fines) & (private) parking charge notices.

With reference to the latter at this specific location (Gatwick Airport),

Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4
        https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga...dule/4/enacted

3(1)In this Schedule “relevant land” means any land (including land above or below ground level) other than

(a)a highway maintainable at the public expense (within the meaning of section 329(1) of the Highways Act 1980);

(b)a parking place which is provided or controlled by a traffic authority;

(c)any land (not falling within paragraph (a) or (b)) on which the parking of a vehicle is subject to statutory control.

3(3)For the purposes of sub-paragraph (1)(c) the parking of a vehicle on land is “subject to statutory control” if any statutory provision imposes a liability (whether criminal or civil, and whether in the form of a fee or charge or a penalty of any kind) in respect of the parking on that land of vehicles generally or of vehicles of a description that includes the vehicle in question.

3(4)In sub-paragraph (3) “statutory provision” means any provision (apart from this Schedule) contained in—

(a)any Act (including a local or private Act), whenever passed; or

(b)any subordinate legislation, whenever made,

and for this purpose “subordinate legislation” means an Order in Council or any order, regulations, byelaws or other legislative
        instrument.

Errrr.....

https://www.gatwickairport.com/globa...es/byelaws.pdf

Similar can be found in other airports, train stations, local authority parks*, & even ports & harbours, all over England & Wales.

This is well known to us private parking nerds; not so well known to Joe Public, who are probably being ripped off** to the tune of £millions every year, this being trousered by private parking companies acting illegally.
        Allegedly

*https://www.gov.uk/government/public...model-byelaw-2

(See attached example).

**Penalty charges (fines) for parking are capped at rates far less than private parking charges.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by charitynjw; 9th March 2023, 07:05:AM.
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
        gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

I know only what the RAC has told me (and you).
          Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X