• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Keeper of uninsured vehicle 144A

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeper of uninsured vehicle 144A

Hi everyone, just joined the forum and found it to be very helpful and containing a lot of useful information!

2 days ago I’ve received Single Justice Procedure Notice 144A for being a registered keeper of an uninsured vehicle.

Since the fine was being sent to old address I have never received it and now the fine has increased to £350.

I understand that if I apply for Statutory Declaration the case will likely be dropped and will be charged with the initial £100.

I was planning on pleading guilty, paying the fine and hopefully that would be the end of it as I really don’t want to end up with any points on my license.

Here is what happened:
    Long story short I’ve sold the vehicle in May last year and I did take it off the insurance prior to selling and put my new car onto the insurance. Car was kept in the gated residential parking (had no idea I was legally obliged to keep the car insured if I’m not using it *♂️) which is I guess when it could have been seen and issued with the offence.
    However, since I can’t find any documentation of when I sold the vehicle it is hard for me to distinguish wether it was in my possession or of a new keeper.
    New owner is from Manchester and I live in Liverpool.

The charge was issued on 5/10/2022 and sent via first class on 6/10/2022 and also the witness has signed and dated 5/10/2022 saying the vehicle was uninsured under my ownership on 10/5/2022.
    Which leads me to think if they could have seen the uninsured vehicle on 5/10/2022 by a new owner but accident typed in the wrong date?

So the question is, is there a way to find out where the vehicle was seen when fine was issued?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
    Tags: None

You need to work out the dates!
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

The vehicle might not have been "seen".
      Records are kept of when a vehicle is or is not insured.
      If you cancelled the insurance prior to selling the vehicle, and did not file a Statutory off Road Notification, DVLA will note it and automatically issue a penalty.

Comment

What does the document that you describe as a "Single Justice Procedure Notice" actually say?

SJPNs simply inform the recipient of court proceedings against them. They do not mention any fines or amounts. Does whatever you have say you have been convicted of an offence and sentenced (and have to pay £350)? As well as that, You quote the issue date of this as 5th October. SJPNs are normally sent very quickly after issue (the recipient usually has 21 days to enter a plea and the case is usually heard within a couple of weeks after that). From that issue date it seems likely that your case has been heard and you have been sentenced. But we need to know what exactly it is that you have before any proper advice can be given.

An offence under s144A does not carry an endorsement or penalty points.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X