• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Liability for unknown fault after vehicle sale.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liability for unknown fault after vehicle sale.

Hi everyone, I have a question about my liability after selling my car to a dealer and them finding a costly fault was unaware of.

I sold my car via one of these websites that gives dealers the chance to bid to buy your car. The winning dealer sent someone to inspect the car and negotiate a final price based on an in-person viewing.

They inspected the car and we agreed a price, payment was made and the car was signed over to the dealership and taken away on a trailer.

The day after they contacted me telling me the car has a very expensive issue that needs to be fixed. The fault didn't effect the driving of the car at all and I was totally unaware of it. They haven't explained what remedy they may expect from me yet.

On the assumption this isn't some kind of scam, am I liable at all? They inspected the car to their own satisfaction and paid me, and the car is no longer registered to me and no longer in my possession.

Unfortunately I didn't write "Sold as seen" or similar when confirming the sale, I'm not sure if that is an issue.

Thanks

Valerie C.
    Tags: None

Oh dear, my heart bleeds for the dealer

You have no liability to him whatsoever, so long as you did not misrepresent the vehicle's condition.

This is a case where the principle "buyer beware" applies.
    The dealer, being the professional and having inspected the goods before purchase, takes on all the risk.
    You owe the dealer nothing

Comment

Des, I would carefully box and send a bottle of Scotch and send it to the dealer, that is to drown his tears.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X