• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

VW Camper classed as Motorhome - Parking Fine Issued

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VW Camper classed as Motorhome - Parking Fine Issued

Hi, I have a VW T6, and parked in a carpark, alongside VWs of exactly the same size, which are not campers and received a parking ticket, the others didnt. I since have found out that the parking sign states no motorhomes and highlights any vehicle that provides the ability to sleep or cook. I assume I dont have a basis to appeal, but wanted to check here first. Its not an obvious thing, especially when you consider my vehicle is the same size as many others that can park, I guess this has caught me out, so a warning to others.
    Tags: None

Your basis for appeal will depend on the exact wording of that sign, and the wording of the parking charge notice.

If it expressly forbids the parking of motor homes they cannot levy a contractual charge if you park there, as you cannot contract to do something that is forbidden.

Suggest you post up a picture of the signage if possible. (If not give the location so the signs might be visible on Google earth) and also a redacted copy of the PCN.

Also edit your post so the driver is not identified.. e.g. the driver parked..

Comment

Hi Des8,

Thanks for your reply. Picture of the sign and PCN redacted are both attached. I have also checked my V5, and this vehicles body type is MOV, and taxation class Diesel car. Also, its colour is recorded as Bronze, which conflicts with the PCN.

I cant find how to edit my post, could you point me in the right direction for that?

Many thanks
      Attached Files

Comment

Reading the sign a charge for contravention is specified (I respectfully disagree with Des's 2nd para).

I assume that this vehicle has facilities to sleep and/or cook.
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Hi Atticus, yes it does. I found out locally from someone that they changed it due to a persistent use of overnight sleeping by a particular local. Why they couldn't enforce no overnight sleeping I'm unsure. Does this mean there is no basis for an appeal?

Comment

Change of position coming up!

On reading your first post I erroneously thought you had received a PCN for parking on private property.

As this is a PCN from a council, it's a completely different ball game and nothing to do with contracts. so my apologies.

If you wish to contest the charge I suggest you post on Pepipoo forum for advice.

Comment

Thank you both for your assistance, very much appreciated.

Comment

Checking on overnight sleeping needs manpower and comes at a cost.
                Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Ah ok, yes that makes sense. Ok well i'll try this other forum, but seems like there isnt really anywhere to go. Does feel harsh to class a VW camper as a motorhome, looks like a lesson learnt, read the signs more carefully, despite living in the area for nearly 4 years now. this will rule me out of three of the local car parks as its my main form of transport. Thanks again for your help.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X