• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Police incorrectly stopped no insurance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police incorrectly stopped no insurance

I was stopped by a normal patrol car, and they claimed that there was no insurance for the vehicle that i was in. Now i had purchased the vehicle as a present for my daughters 18th birthday, she was not yet 18 (this was in 2 weeks) my own vehicle was due to have some work carried out so in the meantime i had used numerous day insurance for the days when driving. Some of them were on my banking app on my phone and some were on my wife's. The police were not very helpful and one in particular used language that i found unacceptable around my 6 year old son, the car was recovered pending valid insurance paperwork, the next day i went to the Police station with my insurance documentation and showed them , i explained that i don't understand why this and any of the previous insurance did not show up on the Police insurance network as i had proof. He did say to "be careful as for some reason it was still not showing and i may get stopped again" but let the recovery know that i could take the vehicle which i did. Some weeks later i received an offer to accept 3 points and a fine or go to court, i called the West Yorkshire traffic office as i was confused, i had valid insurance so assumed it must be a mistake, i must have called this number a hundred times with no answer, it would either be engaged or go to voicemail so i left a voicemail. I also emailed them (it was at the height of the pandemic so you could not visit in person) asking them what what was going on and that i was very confused as i had insurance and had shown my documentation to the Police and the recover impound. Again no one responded to me, now i am also a key worker and i work nationally, rightly or wrongly it had escaped my mind to follow up (also i had recently lost my father) but i had thought that they would realise they had made a mistake. Now i have just received a summons to go to court because i had not responded to the conditional offer, im absolutely fuming, i have tried and tried to contact them regarding this issue and i have been ignored, i presented my documents to both the Police AND the recovery agents. Surely this can not be allowed to happen, please PLEASE can someone help me with this as i am worried sick and i need my license for work. I have never had so much as a speeding ticket in 23 years of having a license.
    Tags: None

islandgirl will probably be able to help but I think the only option is to attend court and explain to the magistrates what has happened. This will not be a solitary incident and the Magistrates hopefully will be able to bring an end to the matter.
    Covid has caused disruption but in this case, I suspect it was disruption laid on top of existing police incompetence.
    "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Might I suggest you try to nip this in the bud before it gets to court and contact your local CPS dealing with the matter. I presume you have a court case number now and/or a CPS reference, give them a call and find out who is assigned to this and try to speak to them directly.

Most of them are easy to speak to so don't go flying off the handle ranting and raving, just politely explain the situation and ask them to consider dropping the case since you never committed an offence as you had insurance cover at the time. Common sense from the CPS would say they should drop this but it really depends on what you are being charged with.

You can find your local CPS below and contact details.

https://www.cps.gov.uk/about-cps/cps...proceeds-crime
      If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

In my opinon both sets of advice above are correct. Rob makes a good suggestion but it may not bear fruit. As Celestine says, if it does not you MUST attend court. You must also bring ALL the proof you have and it is vital that you bring documents showing that insurance was valid at the time - do not rely on saying that the Police agreed and let the car go from the pound. You have to prove it to the mags.

The thing that confuses me is the offer of 3 points (usually a speeding offence). No insurance is 6 points. Were you stopped for speeding as well? Perhaps the 3 point offer related to that and not the insurance matter. If you did not respond you would be hauled before the mags. Let us know if this is the case please.

Here are the no insurance sentencing guidelines:

https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk...-revised-2017/

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post
          Might I suggest you try to nip this in the bud before it gets to court and contact your local CPS dealing with the matter. I presume you have a court case number now and/or a CPS reference, give them a call and find out who is assigned to this and try to speak to them directly.

Most of them are easy to speak to so don't go flying off the handle ranting and raving, just politely explain the situation and ask them to consider dropping the case since you never committed an offence as you had insurance cover at the time. Common sense from the CPS would say they should drop this but it really depends on what you are being charged with.

You can find your local CPS below and contact details.

https://www.cps.gov.uk/about-cps/cps...proceeds-crime
          I will double check but I'm pretty sure that it was 3 points and a fine, no i wasn't speeding, i was only just setting off at some lights at a cross road. What i don't get is that i had numerous day insure cover over a couple of months and they did not show up on the national computer. And i had proof of this on my payment app and showed the Police. Should i request all the information from the Police and recovery as a DSAR so that i have everything? im working away until Friday so there is not a lot i can do until i am home other than that.

Comment

You had proof of a payment on the APP Does it show a policy or cover note for the vehicle they claim was uninsured?

Comment

So I believe you were issued with 3 points for the jumping the lights offence and you did not respond which is why you are in court. I may be wrong...The insurance may be a red herring

Comment

Originally posted by anonymous1975 View Post
                ... Now i have just received a summons to go to court because i had not responded to the conditional offer, im absolutely fuming, ...
                Have you received a summons or a Single Justice Procedure Notice? Does it not tell you what offence you have been charged with? It should do. Does it ask for a plea?

I agree with ISLANDGIRL. An offer of three points and a fine is almost certainly nothing to do with insurance. It'll be speeding or a red-light offence. As they stopped you after you pulled away from some lights, my money is on the latter.

Comment

The OP wrote: "Now i have just received a summons to go to court because i had not responded to the conditional offer,"
                  I think he was sent an offer relating to the offence at the lights and not the insurance and, because he has not replied, has received a summons. Hoping the OP will come back and tell us!

Comment

I know. But the summons must tell him what he's charged with if he reads it... (Or "she").

Comment

Of course it must - we await his/her reply

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X